Archery Talk Forum banner

arrow?

541 16
I am new to field archery and I am wondering what I should use for arrows, looking for the most bang for my buck, will be shooting a martin scepter 4 27.5 DL at around 55#. with a bodoodle pro tuner. Any and all opinions welcome, please dont tell me to get a different bow though....LOL....Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
I am new to field archery and I am wondering what I should use for arrows, looking for the most bang for my buck, will be shooting a martin scepter 4 27.5 DL at around 55#. with a bodoodle pro tuner. Any and all opinions welcome, please dont tell me to get a different bow though....LOL....Thanks
Hopefully no one on this forum is going to tell you get get a different bow, especially me since I have 2 Martin S4s. :shade:

As far as "bang for the buck", you'd have to get up real early to do better than Easton ACC (imho).

· Registered
1,739 Posts
As stated , lots of folks shoot the Easton ACC.

For the price, another good choice would be the Carbon Express Maxima 3D select--it's a very tough arrow and light weight. The only downside with maximas in 150 and 250 sizes is that the provided inserts are slightly larger than the shafts, they tend to get hung up in target material. The trade off is buying the parabolic glue in points. With those points, a dozen is around $150.

With your setup, I think 250's would be fine with 85 grain points and 187 Flex Fletch vanes or 1.75 Bohning Xvanes

CAll Lancarter Archery Supply

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
you say the ACC's, where would be a good place to get them and what would you suggest for a weght
Well, as far as I'm concerned Lancaster Archery Supply will continue to get all my business - they're just flat out good folks to deal with. :shade:

I ran your specs through OT2 and see that the 3-28 with 100 grain points are in the Green, just slightly to the weak side. Replacing the 100 grain tip with a 90 puts it almost dead center of the Green.

But before you make the purchase allow a few of the other regulars to provide some input - I'm still quite new at all this. :eek:

· Registered
34,432 Posts
ACC 3-28 with 100 grain points....

Call Lancaster or order them from their website...they are an AT sponsor.

Maximas, Carbon Tech Cheetahs and Whitetails are also a great option. But the 3-28 is a tougher arrow but it will be a touch heavier.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
what is the opinion on the GT 22's, ultralites, will they work or do they get to much push from the wind, which vanes do you use with the accs
Don't have any experience with the GT's, so want comment on them.

ACC vanes - Flex Fletch 175 :shade:

BTW: If you haven't figured it out yet, the regulars in this forum are more than willing to talk archery, so don't go away after you decide on your arrows. :)

· Registered
34,432 Posts
what is the opinion on the GT 22's, ultralites, will they work or do they get to much push from the wind, which vanes do you use with the accs
They will both work....BUT if I had other arrows 22s would be one of the last arrows I would shoot for field.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that is what my thoughts are,until the weather gets better and my hours increase kind of have to go on the cheap side of things..ugh....but if I have to bite the bullet i will. thanks for all the replies, i think south shore archery is a few dollars cheaper than LAS is, but not really enough to make a difference, have not dealt with either one yet.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
I have had better results with Easton and Carbon Express arrow products than Gold Tip. Just my experience, and my opinion is based on only 3 different types of Gold Tip arrows to compare. You might love them with your set up.

· Registered
326 Posts
I shoot the same DL and DW with 65% letoff on a Hoyt C.5+ equipped bow.
I'm using ACC 3L-18's with 69 grain points and 2" Blazers.
They fly great.

· Registered
748 Posts
What about Easton Lightspeed 3D's as a cheaper alternative to the ACC's? I shoot 3-39 ACC's now, but was playing with lower draw weight #55ish. Could save almost $50 per doz. Just curious.
I'm using the Lightspeeds and have had good results with them. Now I'm no "great archer" but don't shoot to bad either, about an average Joe. I shoot a 28.5" draw at 54lbs and use the Lightspeed 500 cut 28" with I think 80gr point, uni bushing, g nock and Easton Diamond 175 vanes.

I think for the money they are a good deal.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
light speeds

i will look into the lightspeed 3D's, another ? i am going to be using a sword trident hunter sight with the pins. what class would these make me shoot in, it is adjustable but the pins themselves are fixed, can you use this site in the amatuer classes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.