Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting beaman graphite arrows, and typically keep the arrows in my unheated garage. The temperature outside has been between 9 degrees and 15 degrees. My question, is the cold a factor in safety when using graphite arrows. Should they be kept inside etc. I realize many times hunters are out in
tree stands etc. in very cold weather. Coments please.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Banned
104 Posts
the concern IMHO would be from 'changes' in temp with the arrows, freezing, warming up, freezing, warming up, etc.

further consideration would be exposure to moisture, e.g., high humidity or flat out immersion then exposed to temp changes.

besides the shafts of consideration would be the fletch especially if plastic they could crack or get snag'g on something during handling while cold.

suggestion...take them in, w/minimal handling, thus avoiding damage to fletch, let them warm up and then carefully check the shafts for bulges...and flex the shafts to see how they are holding up.

yes, yes i am aware equipment is removed from it warm cozy house, taken in the field in their nice quiver and used in horrible conditions including water and nasty temp swings, and then brought back to the warm environment in the house. that stated...the environmental exposure is minimal and not sustained. (oh and i know everyone checks their equipment carefully before using it, especially after you overslept and are late to get to the stand)

if you feel there is a problem...destroy the arrow(s) as when they splinter during release your risk of getting injured is high. (i know all of us flex our carbon based arrows before they are put in our quivers ~ don't cha?)

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Modern military aircraft use lots of carbon fiber and fly at 50 degrees below zero at extremely fast speeds, you are good!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,722 Posts
Central Illinois here. Hovering around zero all day and sub zero, 10 below several days. Arrows left out in car. Shoot at t-shirt warm Indoor range, target and 3D. More worried about the old McKenzie 3D targets - those suckers can be like shooting into a tree. I shoot .414" diameter .400" spine light arrow - so a little brittle. No problems.

·
Registered
51,099 Posts
the concern IMHO would be from 'changes' in temp with the arrows, freezing, warming up, freezing, warming up, etc.

further consideration would be exposure to moisture, e.g., high humidity or flat out immersion then exposed to temp changes.

besides the shafts of consideration would be the fletch especially if plastic they could crack or get snag'g on something during handling while cold.

suggestion...take them in, w/minimal handling, thus avoiding damage to fletch, let them warm up and then carefully check the shafts for bulges...and flex the shafts to see how they are holding up.

yes, yes i am aware equipment is removed from it warm cozy house, taken in the field in their nice quiver and used in horrible conditions including water and nasty temp swings, and then brought back to the warm environment in the house. that stated...the environmental exposure is minimal and not sustained. (oh and i know everyone checks their equipment carefully before using it, especially after you overslept and are late to get to the stand)

if you feel there is a problem...destroy the arrow(s) as when they splinter during release your risk of getting injured is high. (i know all of us flex our carbon based arrows before they are put in our quivers ~ don't cha?)
Almost everything you consider as a potential problem isn't even close to a problem. Carbon arrows are very durable unless you hit something solid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts