Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of ordering some gold tip Valkyrie Arrows but I think total weight I’d come in right around 400 grains, is that enough to possibly keep shooting a hypodermic or different mech along with fixed blades or should I look into a heavier arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
DL
DW
bow ibo speed
What bow is it

More to the formula

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm at 397 grains taw and 27 5/8 draw with 62# of draw weight, been considering the rage ss myself, I'm useing slick trick's now and they work great but want a lil bigger cut.

How many pounds you pulling and what's your draw length?

My best bud shoots 70# at 29 1/2 and shoots the 1 3/4 cut shwaker and he has complete pass throws on his deer and his arrow weight is 420 grains.

I'm going too try the rage ss they said it's made for less ke producing setups like mine.

I'm sure folks will be along shortly too post use this head or that head with no data too support their selection.

Good luck in your search sir, hope my info helps you somehow.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I shoot a 375 gr Velocity XT/305fps/62lbs/30" draw... either with a ViperTrick(modified) 1 1/16" x 1 1/4" or Steelhead XL(1.5") or regular Steelhead (1 1/8")... penetration is NOT a problem ... any thing around 400 grs and you'll be fine ..

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
72# 30” PSE DNA fast

You’ll be fine going that low

Heck I’m shooting 60 lbs 29” DL and 350 grain arrow out of evolve 31 (FL at 65%) and I’m not worried one bit with NAP killzones

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You’ll be fine going that low

Heck I’m shooting 60 lbs 29” DL and 350 grain arrow out of evolve 31 (FL at 65%) and I’m not worried one bit with NAP killzones
Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My set up is 448 gr gold tip kinetic kaos 340 @ 282 fps with rage trypan . Harvested 3 deer & complete pass through on all .

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I shoot a 60# pulse at 28.5" and used rage hypodermic with a total arrow weight of 428gn.
Only shot 2 deer with rage and got a pass through once. On the other hand use ramcats and got complete pass thru every time. Once was with cutting through the humerus bone in half and going through both shoulders.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
400 - 425 grains with your specs will be an awesome set up. I shoot a 420 grain arrow 65 pounds and I shoot grim reaper 1 3/8" but have shot killzones also with no problems. Imo around 400 grains seems to be a great happy medium speed and momentum and energy for deer. The drurys are shooting lighter weight arrows lighter weight bows and killing deer without any issues with various rage heads.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
400 - 425 grains with your specs will be an awesome set up. I shoot a 420 grain arrow 65 pounds and I shoot grim reaper 1 3/8" but have shot killzones also with no problems. Imo around 400 grains seems to be a great happy medium speed and momentum and energy for deer. The drurys are shooting lighter weight arrows lighter weight bows and killing deer without any issues with various rage heads.
I’ve looked into the Valkyrie that Levi shoots with a 2” swacker and doesn’t seem to have an issue with

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
I’ve looked into the Valkyrie that Levi shoots with a 2” swacker and doesn’t seem to have an issue with

Yeah I think you have a good set up, build a good arrow and sight her in. The only reason to go heavier arrow is to slow your bow down so it will be quieter and increase your pin gaps if you have an issue with your pins being ontop of each other. You won't have any problems with penetration.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I think you have a good set up, build a good arrow and sight her in. The only reason to go heavier arrow is to slow your bow down so it will be quieter and increase your pin gaps if you have an issue with your pins being ontop of each other. You won't have any problems with penetration.
I’m using a single pin sight now I’m gonna look into the Valkyrie more and a couple other gold tips

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
:BangHead: Whatever you come up with will be fine. You have been around here long enough to know that.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts

Cyborgs don’t count ;) that guy also has some freakishly long draw length

1 - 20 of 34 Posts