Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wanted to know what you all think about this.
I was in class at HSU in CA when a fire drill happened in me and my buddy's dorm. We had arrows on the desk being fletched and a bunch in quivers in the closets as well as a few compound bows in the dorm semi-hidden. The kicker here is that we do have a Humboldt State Archery Team that practices on campus. So when the fire drill happened they confiscated our arrows and..... a slingshot of all things. So when I got back from class I was furious as you would think right? Well the school gave them back thanks to me having some upperclass friends with some pull in the situation but I am going to have disciplinary action and almost got kicked out of the dorms. How stupid is that?!?! They said if I ever have arrows or a bow on campus (which i still do cause im 6 hours from home) then it will be permanently confiscated. What a bunch of *******s right? I mean Im not a criminal or anything we both have clean records and my roommate is an eagle scout. Come on people theres bigger problems at the school than two hardworking, law abiding young adults I would think. I would rather hit somebody with a bat than shoot em with my bow anyways cause then i would lose it forever in evidence but guess what-baseball bats ARE aloud in school. So yeah thanks for listening to my rant sorta.
comment below if ya want
-Cody Franceschi

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Problem number one is your in school in California. everything is suppose to be rainbows and unicorns according to the state government.

Seriously, Ask the campus rent a cops if you may keep your bow at the public safety department.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem number one is your in school in California. everything is suppose to be rainbows and unicorns according to the state government.

Seriously, Ask the campus rent a cops if you may keep your bow at the public safety department.
Yeah I guess I should have gone to Montana State or Colorado Like I wanted too, stupid outa state tuition I can't wait to get out of CA.
Thats what Ill have to do i guess

·
Registered
597 Posts
You're in Arcata, nuff said. I bet if they found weed you'd be in less trouble. If I were you I would go rent a small storage and split the cost with your buddy to store all of your stuff you don't want taken from you.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
It's up to you to know the rules. Whether you choose to comply or ignore them is up to you, but expect consequences if you choose to ignore them.

Where do the other members of the archery team keep their equipment? Where does the archery team practice?

Most government entities treat bows the same as firearms. Doesn't make sense, but unless you participate in changing the rules, you will have to live with them.

Allen

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wouldn't go to Colorado either. It is turning into Little California. That stinks they busted you but rules are rules. The fact that you had the stuff "semi-hidden" tells me you knew it shouldn't have been in there to begin with. You and your buddy may be good guys but that doesn't mean you are above the rules of the college. You need to look at the overall picture instead of focusing on you. Put your big boy pants on, own up to your mistake, and move on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't go to Colorado either. It is turning into Little California. That stinks they busted you but rules are rules. The fact that you had the stuff "semi-hidden" tells me you knew it shouldn't have been in there to begin with. You and your buddy may be good guys but that doesn't mean you are above the rules of the college. You need to look at the overall picture instead of focusing on you. Put your big boy pants on, own up to your mistake, and move on.
Yup, Gotta learn from your mistakes I guess so I'm making sure not to screw up again. Don't wanna lose all my gear that would suck.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I was in college 94-97, I used to keep my bow in a case in my car trunk because of the rules stating "no weapons" allowed in the dorms. I went to a small agriculture school were everyone hunted so it wasn't uncommon to see someone with a bow in the dorms during the fall. However, the rules stated "no weapons" in the dorms so I just kept mine in the car. Sometimes you just have to follow the rules, young one, regardless of how stupid they are. Wait till you get married!!! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yup, Gotta learn from your mistakes I guess so I'm making sure not to screw up again. Don't wanna lose all my gear that would suck.
That is the right attitude to have. That would be a very expensive lesson to learn if you lost your gear. Better to look at the bright side than focus on the negative. At least they gave the stuff back this time.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Times have changed and you have to adapt to the rules as they stand. A lot of good advice above. Make it easy on yourselves and just follow the rules. It's not worth losing your dorm residency privileges over.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You might be law-abiding, hard working guys, but what happens when the psycho in the room next door finds out you've got a few lethal weapons lying around in your dorm?

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,005 Posts
The fact that you stated they were "half-hidden" says you knew the rules and broke them anyway.

I find it interesting that your buddy who posted a similar rant failed to mention the other weapon, a sling shot. I wonder what else was "omitted" that was found.

Sounds like if your still enrolled in the college and you're still in the dorms, you got off easy enough.

Rules are rules and should be enforced regardless of whether you feel they should apply.

As I told your buddy, good luck with how you proceed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fact that you stated they were "half-hidden" says you knew the rules and broke them anyway.

I find it interesting that your buddy who posted a similar rant failed to mention the other weapon, a sling shot. I wonder what else was "omitted" that was found.

Sounds like if your still enrolled in the college and you're still in the dorms, you got off easy enough.

Rules are rules and should be enforced regardless of whether you feel they should apply.

As I told your buddy, good luck with how you proceed.
Ah yeah
So the citation we recieved was for lighter fluid when we barbequed venison which i understand completely
21 arrows
and a slingshot

Yeah I do agree that we did get off rather easy Which I am thankful for.
Thanks for the Advice,
Cody

·
Vendor
4,668 Posts
Yeah I guess I should have gone to Montana State or Colorado Like I wanted too, stupid outa state tuition I can't wait to get out of CA.
Thats what Ill have to do i guess
Don't take it the wrong way but when and if you leave make sure you leave any and all (Califoriaistic ideals in California and just to be sure don't bring any "friends"). You seem OK so far...lol.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,005 Posts
Ah yeah
So the citation we recieved was for lighter fluid when we barbequed venison which i understand completely
21 arrows
and a slingshot

Yeah I do agree that we did get off rather easy Which I am thankful for.
Thanks for the Advice,
Cody
You sound like a smart young man. Complete your education, move to a state that actually embraces hunters (like mine) and one day you'll find this nonsense amusing.:wink:

And good luck with your archery team! We did not have one when I was in school.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might be law-abiding, hard working guys, but what happens when the psycho in the room next door finds out you've got a few lethal weapons lying around in your dorm?
Yeah thats true, good thing our room has two big doors with electronic locks and is not at ground level haha but I get where you are coming from - good point

1 - 20 of 56 Posts