Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. I just shot my first 3-D shoot today and actually did really good, but I noticed when I shot that it loked like my arrows kind of fish tail back and forth after release. I am hitting good and it appears that my arrows are hitting the target straight. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
527 Posts
this could be the result of a few things......

1) your arrows are not spined properly for your bow
2)your bow might not be tuned properly
3)inconsistant or non smooth release(mainly if you are shooting fingers but can also occur with a release)
4) wind (especially if you are shootin large feathers or vanes- 3-5 inches)

hope this helps

·
Registered
380 Posts
what size fletching are you using? go with a five inch fletch maybe. so they can straighten out quicker. if they are on target but fishtailing.
don

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Paper tune your bow!!!!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'd say Treejumpers' got it. Do a powder test, to check for fletching contact. Just my two cents. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
His arrows could be over spined and he would get the same results. I was shooting 3-18's yesterday a 43 lbs and all thought they grouped well they were fishtailing all over the place. It very well could be a number of different things.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derbytown said:
I'd say Treejumpers' got it. Do a powder test, to check for fletching contact. Just my two cents. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D
I've sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Not enough information to accurately troubleshoot the problem!

How bout some info on your setup?

Bow?
Poundage?
Draw Length?
Arrow?
Field point weight?
Release/Fingers?
Rest?
Fletching?

Can't even begin to speculate what it may be without that info...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BowhunterNJ said:
Not enough information to accurately troubleshoot the problem!

How bout some info on your setup?

Bow? Mathews Legacy
Poundage? 70lb
Draw Length? 29"
Arrow? Easton Epic Carbon 340 and Beman ICS Hunter 400
Field point weight? 100 grn
Release/Fingers? Release(scott mongoose)
Rest? Trap Door
Fletching? 4 inch I believe

Can't even begin to speculate what it may be without that info...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yeah I missed it at first...hehe thought you sent me a PM with the same exact thing.

Here is what I just PMed you...I feel like my troubleshooting is accurate, but good to have a few others here review it as well and see if they agree:

Rob:

Based on that information, I am going to assume your arrow length is approximately 30".

If that is the case, your arrows are underspined according to the Easton and Beman shaft selection charts.

They recommend the following:
- Beman ICS Hunter 340s
- Easton Epic Carbon 300s

I'd say the weaker spine of the arrows you are shooting is contributing to the fishtailing.

You could try lowering the field tip weight or decreasing the poundage of the bow.

You can also play around with your centershot and try to balance it out.

If you are going to stick with the arrows you are shooting, I would highly recommend paper tuning your bow until you get a good tear.

Of course the best solution is to get properly matched arrows, but that may or may not be an option.

Did a pro shop help you with the arrow selection? If so, you may want to consult with them and ask why they selected the arrows you are shooting. It is possible I could be wrong, but I am following the shaft selection charts for both companies/arrows you are shooting and you are exactly one spine size too weak in both.

Good Luck Man, but I think that is your problem!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts