Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm gonna try turkey hunting with the bow this year w/ Guillotines some one suggested to me using a fishing arrow since the head will hit the riser on draw.What are the folks here using for arrows and fletching who use Guillotines?

·
ROAD CREW
3,092 Posts
Check out Cabela's or one of the other bigbox stores. They sell a longer, feather fletched arrow just for use w/ the GG. I wouldn't use a fish arrow. Those things have the trajectory of a torpedo! They are ultra heavy & I have no doubts that a bird would easily be able to duck one.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
That fish arrow would be awfully heavy...I shoot a long carbon arrow for mine. I used to shoot them full length but thats not really necessary, just have someone (safely) mark an arrow while you're at full draw but don't worry about the riser, it will actually hit your front sight first more than likely. I just cut mine a little forward of my sight and fletch with 5" feathers. They truly do shoot like field points. Good luck, they are a very effective turkey head.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check out Cabela's or one of the other bigbox stores. They sell a longer, feather fletched arrow just for use w/ the GG. I wouldn't use a fish arrow. Those things have the trajectory of a torpedo! They are ultra heavy & I have no doubts that a bird would easily be able to duck one.
Bass Pro sells these arrows. They are 39.99 for 3 arrows. I'm sticking with my X Weaves and Rage heads for turkey season. I already have them so it's cheaper!

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I buy a dozzen arrows I keep 3 of them full length for this reason. Arrow Dynamics arrows that they make just for these broad heads are very good, but I have to hunt within a budget. I was thinking about trying to make some arrow extensions. If this work I'll get back to you.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
I would suggest shooting the same arrows you have, but get 2 or 3 new ones and cut them 1/2" ahead of your sight (if they will hit) and use those.

·
ROAD CREW
3,092 Posts
Just bought 3 of the AD arrows at Cabela's on sale for $34.99(my acc's were about $10ea so not too bad a deal). They're 32" GTs w/ 5" right helical feathers. I just got done trying them w/ some 100gr Bullheads. My 10/20yd pin was right on vertical at 10 but i had to hold my 30yd pin at the bottom of the 3" diameter dot at 20yds. For whatever reason my normal arrows are dead on but the AD arrow and 100gr Bullhead shoot about 1.5" right of center at 10 & 20yds.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 32" draw and 125gr Magnus Bullhead and I will give you feeback once I decided what to do and how it works.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would suggest shooting the same arrows you have, but get 2 or 3 new ones and cut them 1/2" ahead of your sight (if they will hit) and use those.

If you do that you will have to retune for sure, because of the added length. I get the next spine stiffer and shoot them! Usually don't have to retune.......but I am borderline light spine anyway, normally shooting 100grains, 125 with the GG

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just bought 3 of the AD arrows at Cabela's on sale for $34.99(my acc's were about $10ea so not too bad a deal). They're 32" GTs w/ 5" right helical feathers. I just got done trying them w/ some 100gr Bullheads. My 10/20yd pin was right on vertical at 10 but i had to hold my 30yd pin at the bottom of the 3" diameter dot at 20yds. For whatever reason my normal arrows are dead on but the AD arrow and 100gr Bullhead shoot about 1.5" right of center at 10 & 20yds.
I asked Matt at GG what the spine of the GG arrows were and he told me that they were a .500 spine arrow. I asked him was he sure because I would have thought them to be stiffer like .300 or .280. He replyed again saying that the were definatley 500 spine and the same specs as the Gold tip 7595. None of the 7595's are spined at .500 that I could find.
Nothing he said made real sense so I did not buy the GG arrows. But this would explain you hitting right of the pin, you are underspined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.