Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide what arrows would be best suited for my kids for this 3-D season. I have 5 kids ranging from 6-10, three of them are still shooting recurves and I'm set for their arrows. My question is concerning my 2 that are shooting compounds this year. They are both drawing a shade less than 20 pounds and their draw lenghts ar 16 and 20 inches. I'm looking for something for an arrow that will work well but yet not be to costly, we all know how grass and brush can swallow up arrows at 3-D shoots especially with kids, but practice is the key to success. I'm thinking along the lines of the easton jazz, light economical and the kids love that purple finish. Are their any suggestions that anybody would like to offer. Thanks for any input it's appreciated.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
May sound crazy, but

I commented about the same thing to a friend of mine and he suggested taking my metal detector along. I thought he was nuts, especially when I was lugging that thing to the shoot. Definitely was nuts when I saw the looks and snickers from others at the shoot. BUT, I found quite a few arrows that had hid themselves in the grass and pine needles! Worked like a charm! I practiced on some arrows before I took it to the shoot so I didn't have any problem recognizing the signal. Found hers and many others, some that I'm sure had been hidden a long time! After a while it got to be fun and the kids wanted to take over the chore of carrying and using it! :wink:

·
Registered
374 Posts
i keep my metal detector in the back of my truck...when the shoot is over and I need to find arrows, I go back with it.

I also made a claw-type tool from a rusted up camping fork (the kind used for roasting weenies)...just bent the tines over into a claw. Good for scraping around in the leaves and dirt. Not so good in the vines. Beats bending over though!

Oh yeah, for 3-d shoots where I don't really care...i use the cheap arrows from Wally-world. at $1.5/2.00 each....sometimes I don't even look for them!!!! My son & I can share a dozen and we are good to go. He pulls 25# and I'm at 35# for the shoots. We don't cut them or anything....they work fine enough for his yardage (max 15) and mine (30)

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
My son started off with Gold Tip Lightning Youth (carbon) arrows. They were tough as nails and we're fairly inexpensive for carbons ($4-$5 ea.). He used them for a year or so and I just sold them on here last week to be used by another youth. They'll last a loooong time. Good luck.

Dawg

·
A.K.A. Big JW
2,718 Posts
GT Ultralight Entrada 600s

Great shaft for the money. My 9 year old and my wife both shoot them.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My son started off with Gold Tip Lightning Youth (carbon) arrows. They were tough as nails and we're fairly inexpensive for carbons ($4-$5 ea.). He used them for a year or so and I just sold them on here last week to be used by another youth. They'll last a loooong time. Good luck.

Dawg
Lightnings are a little cheaper and a little tougher than the 600's so I'd go that route, they come with glue-in points in two lengths as well as 3" fletch for the little guys/gals.

·
Registered
746 Posts
you will probably get more mileage from the gold tip Lightnings, put some white wraps on the back with some bright fletching, it will help in finding them sliders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts