Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to get myself a longbow to try out. The one I am getting has no shelf so it can be shot either hand. I am going with a 30#er, just target stuff right now. I'll go a lil heavier later on if I like the longbow and decide to add one to my arsenal permantly.

I have a 28.5 inch draw.....What spine arrows am I looking at? I will probably go with woodies for the first set. They are cheaper and since this is a sort of experiment, I dont want to sink a fortune in it right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a couple of target bows with about the same draw weight....I'm shooting aluminum 1716's and they fly great...fletched with 4" feathers....cut 29" long.....if you're going with wood....when you call to order them they should set you up with the properly spined arrows....I order mine from 3Rivers Archery.....you can get plain shafts and stain,seal and fletch them yourself or you can get them already done...Steve

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
You'll be lucky to find wood arrows spined light enough, at least without using a heavy point--especially with no shelf cut-out. What specific spine you'd need will depend on lots of variables--bow performance, string, nock fit, your release, etc. I'm going to guess 20-25# spine with 125 grain points, but most stores don't carry wood arrows spined under 30#.

Chad

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
30# spine left long might work--again, it depends on the other variables. Not sure about 3 Rivers, but I saw that Kustom King carries 30-35# spine.

Chad

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30# spine left long might work--again, it depends on the other variables. Not sure about 3 Rivers, but I saw that Kustom King carries 30-35# spine.

Chad
Yea, I will be leaving them long. I like about a 30-32 inch arrow.

·
Registered
750 Posts
3Rivers Archery also has the 30-35 spine cedar shafts....5/16ths diameter....Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts