Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its about time for me to be buying new arrows... and I'm stuck between the Eason Axis FMJs, Easton ST Axis, and Easton ST Epic. Is there an advantage with the FMJ? Does it give you easier arrow removal? I would also think they would be a little sturdier if someone clips your arrow or something.... I also think that the FMJs are pretty cool looking, and you get a 7.50$ mail in rebate. I have had no experience with the FMJs or the STs...Do the nanotubes really make them that much stronger? Also $$ is NOT and issue...

Thanks,
Jonny Boy

·
Registered
461 Posts
pulling

Pal,

The FMJ's penetrate so deep, they a byatch to pull out. Also, be careful of shooting a worn bag target, they WILL pass thru. Great arrows for hunting.

Best, DB

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Im thinking you are getting ready for hunting.. I guess for me I would use the st axis.. I know you said moneys not an issue.. But if the break I feel every penny.. Have you thought of acc pro hunters, damn good arrow..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im thinking you are getting ready for hunting.. I guess for me I would use the st axis.. I know you said moneys not an issue.. But if the break I feel every penny.. Have you thought of acc pro hunters, damn good arrow..
oops...forgot to mention..hunting AND target....I know that the FMJs are heavier arrows than the others....would it be safe to shoot a 500 spine at around 57-60 lbs with the FMJ?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Actually there is a big difference. St. Epic are gonna weigh 60+ gn less than the FMJ. Depends on what you want a lighter faster arrow or a heavy slower arrow. I have shot them both and I ended up with the St. Epic for now. I wasn't a real fan of the hit insert in the FMJ. I also believe a 400gn arrow is plenty heavy for deer. And yes I like the speed/trajectory of the lighter arrow also.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ya you could do a 500 spine, but i think that they would fly better with a 400 spine.. Check the easton chart before the purchase.. What is your draw, Single cam or duel cam..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops...forgot to mention..hunting AND target....I know that the FMJs are heavier arrows than the others....would it be safe to shoot a 500 spine at around 57-60 lbs with the FMJ?
I really would like this to be answered....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya you could do a 500 spine, but i think that they would fly better with a 400 spine.. Check the easton chart before the purchase.. What is your draw, Single cam or duel cam..
Thank you...I shoot a single cam at around 57-60lbs...at a 27in draw with a 29 in arrow...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ya you could get away with 500s then.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Better wait for someone that has a similar set up to chime in before you purchase your arrows, I think in most cases the chart is to veg. It may cause you to buy twice ;)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now Ive got a few St. Excels left....I could use these for hunting and buy some strictly target arrows?? Anyone have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now Ive got a few St. Excels left....I could use these for hunting and buy some strictly target arrows?? Anyone have an opinion?
ttt

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could possibly keep my St Excels for hunting and buy some target arrows? Maybe some FatBoys or ACEs or Navigators??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could possibly keep my St Excels for hunting and buy some target arrows? Maybe some FatBoys or ACEs or Navigators??
Opinions?? Anyone?? I have no experience using target only arrows.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ttt

·
Registered
637 Posts
the problem I have with the FMJ arrows is that they still bend. I shot them for about a year and bent almost a full dozen. That is the reason I went away from aluminums in the first place. I switched over to axis st and have been shooting the same 2 dozen for 3 years now.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK guys...If I would have to choose any of these three it would probably be the easton st epics, because the weight of the arrow is the closest to the ones I have now. My thoughts have now changed to If I should buy some target arrows instead...Ill probably start a new thread....

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Dont buy Epics, I had a doz. of these and they were garbage. I had arrows splinttering often just shooting bunks. Then I switched to CX and they were ok but still not what I wanted. Recently in the spring broke down and bought a doz. of fmjs and a doz. of n fused axis. Both fly great and I love them. The fmjs do pull easier from certain targets and also I like the design of the fmjs. So the fmj gets my vote. But still the n fused work amazing

·
Registered
888 Posts
i use ST Excel for target. looking for something stonger for hunting tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts