Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you can actually say the wind affected your arrow at a 3D shoot and a thinner arrow would have helped. I understand if you have a lot of field shots but most 3D occurs in the woods. And fatter arrows will help grab lines.

I am moving ujp classes next year and will be at 45 yards. Not sure if I stay with magnums or go to 23's or even smaller like light speed 3D's.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I look at it from a speed issue more than wind in 3D. Shoot as fat as possible as long as you can still stay around the 280 limit. If your shooting , say a Conquest, I would suggest GT Pro22s to get the speed up. Shooting an Elite or Evolve, I say shoot tree trunks. Go as fat as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
Personally i shoot arrows based on group size rather than arrow size. For me i shoot 23 diameter as they still come in spines so i can get the arrow to tune and they group well at 40+ yards. When i use larger arrows i can still shoot big scores but the scores tend to fluctuate more as the arrow is not as well in tune with the bow and tends to react more. realistically if you are shooting 23 diameter you aren't losing much from a 25 or 27 diameter. Personally it is all about accuracy with my setup and 23's from my experience are more accurate.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Are you shooting known or unknown? How is your yardage judging skill? A thick shaft vs. shinny shaft will only get you about .050" closer to the line. (using 1/2 the difference in diameters divided by 1/2 since they will have the same centers) A skinny arrow will hit up to 2" higher (flatter) depending on your set up which at 3/4" drop per yard gives you a 2 1/2 yard advantage. I was shooting a couple of weeks ago in a good wind and the guys with the fat arrows were getting blown 4" sideways, they were playing Kentucky windage games and I was hitting center with my .204 and 17% FOC arrows. I think I would use a fatter arrow if I was shooting known, and for sure indoors. My class has a 280 speed limit and I can use a faster tape with the same weight arrow going the same speed and not have wind issues (other than my bow). As far as spine, I always go strong in spine, leave the arrow long, cut an inch at a time and break my points off until I get a perfect match, so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I believe the wind affects your holding ability more then the affect it has on the arrow. With that being said how would know which caused the off shot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got a 60lbs conquest 4 and I'm shootin Easton fatboys at 253fps and there's amazing I highly recommend them

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I got a 60lbs conquest 4 and I'm shootin Easton fatboys at 253fps and there's amazing I highly recommend them

You might want to try Goldtip Pro 22's. I was shooting 28" arrows at 320 grains getting 270 fps. Grouped well and the extra speed helped. Mathews Conquest 4 at 27.5" draw 70# limbs turned down to 60#.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts