Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gold tip pro velocities fly good 70% of the time but the other 30% they churches sharply. The arrow will be headed directly where I am aimed then is when tail off about 6-8 inch right at 30 yds. Different arrows are doing this and not every time. Why would it tail off sharply like that? This is out of Mathews creed 70 lbs 28 inch and 300 arrow spine 29inches long
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51,108 Posts
Contact. You didn't mention what rest but I'm betting it is a drop away rest and more than likely it is out of time or not dropping all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Fletching or your torquing the heck outta the bow.

Start looking for vane rub marks on the rest, riser and the vanes themselves.

Make sure vane orientation is the same on each arrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QAD and no padding. There are marks on it from the few shots at the shop but no marks have been made since then ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364237762.315041.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364237787.302857.jpg
 

·
aka "5 Spot"
Joined
·
9,756 Posts
Are you sure they're really doing that? If your arrow passes in and out of sunlight/shadows, it will appear they are wobbling a lot more than when shooting in direct sunlight or full shadows. If they're hitting where you were aiming when the release went off then I'd bet it's an optical illusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
By that I mean there is no predicting what will happen from one arrow to the next arrow?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
What kind of "stuffin" is in your target? Targets can make this happen as well.

number each arrow and determine which ones are doing it. If only a couple out of that dozen, check them over. Im betting you have a slightly jacked up fletch on one vane, or its simply the target.
Do you have the long or (deep) fork on that rest? O shoot blazers and put that one on the rest. No clearance issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Could be the Indian. I was getting inconsistent flight Because on some shots I would anchor harder into my face which resulted in a dramatic tail left. Spent some time focusing on anchor and it solved it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Number your arrows with a sharpie, 1-x#, and shoot them. Then take note if any of the arrows do this consistantly or if it happens at random. Chances are it sounds like a clearance issue, but if you are able to tell if it is random arrows or the same one, it may just be an arrow issue. Atleast this could be a starting point to figure it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Number the arrows and keep track of what each one does and patterns

Check rest with bare shaft.

Watch out for torque. String to face is torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,549 Posts
My gold tip pro velocities fly good 70% of the time but the other 30% they churches sharply. The arrow will be headed directly where I am aimed then is when tail off about 6-8 inch right at 30 yds. Different arrows are doing this and not every time. Why would it tail off sharply like that? This is out of Mathews creed 70 lbs 28 inch and 300 arrow spine 29inches long
put some lipstick on the edges of your fletchings.. You'll find out real quick if you're getting any contact. Also be sure that you are not torquing your bow. Sometimes as we get tired, form goes out the window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
put some lipstick on the edges of your fletchings.. You'll find out real quick if you're getting any contact. Also be sure that you are not torquing your bow. Sometimes as we get tired, form goes out the window.
If it is making contact how do I fix it?
 

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
Joined
·
8,179 Posts
Could it be that the fletch is contacting the cables, and some of your arrows have the nock oriented so this doesn't happen?

It fits with the tail left drift right, it also could explain why some and not others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Could it be that the fletch is contacting the cables, and some of your arrows have the nock oriented so this doesn't happen?

It fits with the tail left drift right, it also could explain why some and not others.
It's probably what Fortyneck is saying so what i would do depending how tight the stuffing is in your target is to shoot some bare shafts into it from 10' feet or so. If the nocks are left of center adjust your rest to the left and so on. You have to get your arrows coming out of the bow straight first. Then shoot fletched arrows with the lipstick on. If your having contact you are having rest problems.O, put the lipstick on the fletchings.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top