Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a Reflex SuperSlam with all the accessories (check my sig), and a 29" draw length - weight set to 55. I am shooting Vapor 4000's with standard field tips and vanes out of it. It shoots fairly accurate, but I do notice that sometimes the arrows do not fly perfectly straight, they will almost wobble in the air before they hit the target. Is this normal, or what is going on?? The vanes are in fairly good condition except for a couple that have a small rip from almost robin hooding, but its not like it only happens with one arrow.

Some help please would be great!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
look at the vanes do you see any black marks or rub marks of any kind? Most of the time what your describing is cause by vane contact with the rest or bow or cables. if the are rippled another indication that they are hitting something. I put lipstick on the vane edges and then shoot them. then I look for lipstick on the rest or bow or cables. if it transfers then I know it is hitting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just doesnt make sense, especially with the drop away rest. Hmmm!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btt, any more help please?? Just spent alot of money on this bow for hunting, want to know whats going on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds like your arrows are making to much contact with your rest. Or, your rest is not centered. You may also be twisting the string on release. Or simply lifting or dropping your elbow on the draw. Alot of factors in fletchings kicking left and right. Try paper tuneing it. That way you can play with the nock point and rest placement.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes me mad, pay 50.00 for a darn rest and have it throw my arrows off. :thumbs_do

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I switch to feathers and consider a whisker biscuit?? I will take it into the shop, just not real happy about it right now. Don't see anyone else's doing that. :angry:

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
There is not a single rest on the market..NONE...that does not require tuning. I would highly suggest that you go to the Easton Arrow website and download their tuning guide and start reading. A drop away rest only gives you fletching clearance as long as it is timed right. It does nothing else magical. I has to be tuned just like any other rest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was never tuned......... Looks like we have a conversation piece for the shop....... :angry:

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
A pro shop can only get it close. The final tuning must be done by you. Either on your own, or by paying the pro shop to assist you while you shoot the bow and they make the adjustment. It is simply not possible for somebody with a different body build, draw length etc...to tune a bow for somebody else..IMHO.

There is also a distinct possiblity that your shooting form is causing the problem and the only cure for that is more practice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a valid point, but see they never did any paper tuning at all. Just set it up and let me go. And it was my first bow purchase too. The possiblity of it being me is very low, as I had another guy shoot it with the same problem. We will have to see.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
It is really a good idea to do the research and learn to do the bow tuning yourself. It is a fairly easy process. Since you are new to the sport you will be making some changes as your shooting progresses. Some changes are going to require retuning. As you can see, the frequent trips to the pro shop are going to add up.

You said in the beginning that only some of your arrows fly untrue. If that's the case it's often a form issue. Consistancy is the key to archery.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
It could quite possibly be...depending on how low your drop away is tied on your cable, the coord attached to the arm could be coming up and making contact with the fletching. I had this problem with my Ultratec and needed to tie the coord lower on my cable...just a thought

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The cable on the Superslam is kinda close to the arrow. Check to make sure that your fletching isn't contacting the cable. It is possible that this could be happening, and you might have to put a different cable slide on, that will pull the cable closer to the guard.
Also, make sure you're centershot is good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
not to offend you but if this is your first bow i would say that some of the problem is most definitely you.not all but some. if you are watching your arrows your form is not going to be its best. also highly possible you are getting contact somewhere. shop should help you tune it though. everybody experiences this kind of problem now and again and its usually something very simple to fix.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Reading the first post again, you said that it happens "sometims".

Would agree with rtreefanatic in that you're probably inducing torque at the bow end, or at the release end.

Get someone who either understands the fundamentals of good shooting form to watch you shoot and see what the say. Not all good shooters really understand form.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts