Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have re-tuned my bow 3 times now. It is not helping. My arrows are corkscrewing down range. They still hit there intended spot but they dont fly straight. All arrows have been spun and are good. Nothing is loose on the bow. It is not my form(I pick up my old bow and shoot it fine). I have no idea what to do. :mad:

· Registered
236 Posts
did you check for fletch contact. i had a similar issue. i had six arrows with 4 inch duravanes and six with blazers. the 4 inchers flew great but the blazers did the cork screw thing. i had some contact with the blazers and got it to were i had none but still had some cork screwing. re-fletched with a right offset and it helped alot but, now i shoot 3 inch durvanes with a right helical and they seem to be more stable. you might have to just try some other vanes and play with the offset and helical and make sure you got no contact.

· Registered
971 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing it but sounds like a mixture of nock point and centre shot (horizontal rest position) or contact check contact by powdering shaft. Probably best to check through full standard tuning procedures
Cheers
Peter

· Registered
20,465 Posts
I don't know much about tuning but I think these guys that can help you might need more info like, draw wieght, draw length, arrow spine, release or fingers, type of rest and so on.

· Registered
2,088 Posts
Are you sure they are corkscrewing. There was a thread on here that talked about how different colored vanes will make it look like corkscrewing. Two vanes of one color and one of another. Set a piece of paper out at the distance you want to shoot and see how the tear looks.

· Registered
3,262 Posts
corkscrewing is usually the result of the vanes having trouble to catch wind. to in mean of "reaching" for air. when it catches the wind it needs it will push it back the other way.

try a little helical
try a little taller
try moving them a little back on the shaft
try a little longer vane
check for contact

spring rest you can sometimes adjust the spring tension a little and take it out.

what exactly is the set up?

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trykon 64# 29" draw
wisker buscuit
short and sweet release
ics 340 28.5" arrows
All white blazers

High tear through paper. Tiller is fine, ata is fine. center shot is fine.

· Registered
606 Posts
Caleb, before you start changing your equipment, I suggest you put a little bright red lipstick on the very outside edges of the vanes on one arrow. Check your cable--yes, your cable--to see if there are any tell-tale marks of lipstick. If you find contact, you have a clearance issue. I had this very problem with my bow until I corrected it. Then check the rest and riser for any marks. I am almost willing to bet you will find clearance is your problem.

I am very doubtful that the position of the vanes on your arrow have anything to do with what you are experiencing.

· Registered
3,262 Posts
since its a whisker biskuit i dont think the lipstick will help.

the reason you would move your vanes is if they are just a little farther back they will be able to catch the air. it might be a very small increment. this is usually my last resort though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.