Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a 26 1/2 Easton Axis 400 arrow. I recently ordered a dozen more and they came back a quarter inch longer then my other ones at 26 3/4. Besides the fact that I am anal do you see any reason to cut it 1/4 inch from the top since the inserts are already installed or just leave it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you cut them, make sure you cut from the nock end, the inserts are already set to depth. I personally would leave them, at least until you need refletching. You can take it off the nock end now, but the cuts don't come out as good, and may depend on the fletching and/or saw. Then get out the A.S.D. tool and square the ends up.

·
Registered
50,424 Posts
That 1/4" isn't going to mean squat. I wouldn't mess with them for so little.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
i with Dale on this one ... 1/4 '' is nothing . your arrows will probably weigh 2 or 3 grains heavier and that isnt squat. i just had my new arrows cut 1'' longer because my broadheads were hitting the shelf befor the drop away rest would lift them, and with them being 1'' longer i cant tell the difference in poi out to 35 yards
That 1/4" isn't going to mean squat. I wouldn't mess with them for so little.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done deal! They stay as they are. Thanks, just hurts looking at them!

·
Lowered expectations
16,588 Posts
As has been said, the 1/4" won't affect your shooting.

But being somewhat anal myself I understand you want them exactly the same. If you ordered them 26 1/2 and they came at 26 3/4, then send them back and tell the supplier to send you what you ordered.

And in the future, learn to make all this stuff yourself so you can be as anal as you want without having to rely on other non-anal types. :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Short range wont make a flip of difference. If you like to stretch it out some I've found a big difference in impact at over 100. Why do shaftmakers guarantee .5 gr if it doesnt matter? Some of its marketing sure but at long distance I have seen it matter. Under 80 no difference at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as the arrows, I can't return. But I can tell you I did order everything that I need to do them myself from start to finish. In one week I will be well on my own mastering the craft!

As has been said, the 1/4" won't affect your shooting.

But being somewhat anal myself I understand you want them exactly the same. If you ordered them 26 1/2 and they came at 26 3/4, then send them back and tell the supplier to send you what you ordered.

And in the future, learn to make all this stuff yourself so you can be as anal as you want without having to rely on other non-anal types. :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you are shooting the Black Easton Axis N-Fused 400's they are 9gpi. so 1/4 inch would only weigh 2.25 grains. That is not enough to worry about. Camo 400's are 9.8gpi.1/4 inch would weigh 2.45 grains.....http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/hunting/nfused

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
If you cut them, make sure you cut from the nock end, the inserts are already set to depth. I personally would leave them, at least until you need refletching. You can take it off the nock end now, but the cuts don't come out as good, and may depend on the fletching and/or saw. Then get out the A.S.D. tool and square the ends up.
I'm curious to know why you think the cuts don't come out as good cutting from the back, I've shortened at least 3 dozen Axis and Bemens with no problems could you explain?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts