Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the Beman MFX and Easton's Axis arrows for the past several years for huntng, and while I enjoy the fact that they have thick walls and thin diameters I am concerned about the difference between the diameter of the shaft and the larger diameter of the broadhead ferrule. This seems to be the weak part of the system. In the past I have epoxied a 3/4" section of aluminum arrow shaft on the end so that I would have good support for the broadhead, but I am looking for a simpler system.

Do most of you just screw the BH in without any modification? Am I being overly concerned?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
If you're too concerned just get the BAR's (broadhead adapter rings) for them. I have never used anything other than the washers that come with the BH's, and never had an issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son and I each had one break off right behind the BH, that is the cause of my consern.

Do the BAR's really work?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
My son and I each had one break off right behind the BH, that is the cause of my consern.
Are you talking about the arrow shafts breaking? I have broken or mushroomed more non-HIT arrows than HIT arrows. In fact, the only HIT arrow I have ever damaged was because of a Striker Magnum blade that split the brass washer and split the end of an Axis shaft. I always use steel washers against the shaft with them now instead of just the brass one, and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts

Do the BAR's really work?
I had the same thing happen earlier this year bud. I contacted Easton and asked if I needed a BAR they said no, I called G5 and asked them if they suggested the use of one and they also said no. So I entered the woods without one and first shot on a doe, simply hit a rib found deer later to confirm this, the BH sheered off right infront of the insert and blew out the side of the arrow shaft.......So all I can figure is the void between the BH and the insert caused the BH to fail. So from now on when I go back to either Axis or FMJ's here shortly I will be using BAR's for sure.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I wish they would make a insert that covers the end of the shaft like the trophyridge arrows have on them. I like my axis arrows but it can be better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
arrows

I love the arrows too, they just need to address the flaw. With the small diameter not matching up with the BH diameter, it has to be weaker. I have been told the same, that you don't need BAR's, but it is just a matter of time before one breaks. I epoxy a 3/4" piece of 2016 flush with the front of the shaft, makes them bomb proof but a hastle that one shouldn't need to do. And, I don't like to have to spend $1 for each BAR, they should be included with the shaft.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Simple solution. If you don't like the smaller diameter shafts sell them to me and use different ones! haha. I use the B.A.R and they have performed well for me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have used the Beman MFX and Easton's Axis arrows for the past several years for huntng, and while I enjoy the fact that they have thick walls and thin diameters I am concerned about the difference between the diameter of the shaft and the larger diameter of the broadhead ferrule. This seems to be the weak part of the system. In the past I have epoxied a 3/4" section of aluminum arrow shaft on the end so that I would have good support for the broadhead, but I am looking for a simpler system.

Do most of you just screw the BH in without any modification? Am I being overly concerned?
Just wondering if you chamfer the inside end of the shaft. Some broadheads have a slight radius at the rear face that contacts the end of the shaft. If the shaft is not chamfered the back of the broadhead does not make full contact with the shaft and is more prone to breakage.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
I wish they would make a insert that covers the end of the shaft like the trophyridge arrows have on them. I like my axis arrows but it can be better.
That's funny, because I have both Axis arrows and TR Crush arrows. I'm constantly saying......"these TR arrows would be a heck of a lot better if they had HIT's instead of these dang outserts". And they are. Whenever the outsert breaks on my TR arrows, I convert that arrow over to HIT's, and I love them that way.....much tougher without the fear of breaking an outsert.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I use them just as they come and I've never had a problem with them either.

Ive shot quite a few deer, squirrels, grouse, rabbits, and ***** with them and not single problem

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Never had an issue with them.

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,998 Posts
love to know what all you guys that have never had a problem with them are shooting for broad heads and for bows. I have broke several as has anyone I know if you go to eastons web site they recommend the bars if you use expandables that fold back or broad heads that the shaft holds the blades in place. put the bars on and never a problem since

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
love to know what all you guys that have never had a problem with them are shooting for broad heads and for bows. I have broke several as has anyone I know if you go to eastons web site they recommend the bars if you use expandables that fold back or broad heads that the shaft holds the blades in place. put the bars on and never a problem since
G5 Tekan (new black ones), Easton Axis 400's, 09 Martin Firecat Pro X....both Easton and G5 said NO BAR WAS NEEDED only the washer that comes with the BH's.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have never had any problem with them. Just use the broadhead ring. I have even shot them through the wood fence out back with no problem.
axis 340. 29 1/2" wasp 4 blade 100gr 67lb browning illuison

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
love to know what all you guys that have never had a problem with them are shooting for broad heads and for bows.
My bows are listed below. BH's I shoot are Wac'ems, Strikers, Striker Mags, Slick Tricks, Silverflames, Shuttle T's, and Buzzcuts. And I shoot through 3/4" plywood, through my targets into brick walls, into the ground from passthroughs, and even through the wall of my house one day.:zip: Never had a problem with the arrows, and never even seen one of the BAR's.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I shoot the BARs with broadheads and the only breakage arrow breakage problems I've had are when I hit rocks. Never had in issue with deer, targets, or the couple of times I slipped and shot the basement wall.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts