Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An someone please explain how to choose an arrow? I only hunt paper, but there are carbon, composites, aluminum, fiberglass, etc,etc......different grains, spines, etc....how do I know what to get?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
when shooting for score fat arrows rule, it matters little if you choose carbon, aluminum or a composite , aluminum can bend so can composite carbon can not bend, but it can break, fiberglass is super heavy and not popular... keep the weight to a minimum of 5 grains per pound of draw weight,, 60# =300 gr arrow, 70# = 350 gr arrow,,, spine is the stiffness of the shaft, it needs to be matched to the length of the shafts and the weight of the bow,,, there are charts and programs that can tell you what spine is needed,,, too soft or too stiff accuracy suffers, to soft can also be dangerous to shoot, when in doubt about spine always go stiffer if it is close( commonly refered to as being on the bubble, kinda like standing on the fence, you could fall either way) being a little stiff usually causes no problems,, but you do not want a 200 spine arrow when you need a 400 spine,,, spine is determined by flex of the arrow at a specfic weight and length

·
Socket Man
24,303 Posts
It took me wasting a lot of money over the years and then I finally had a car crash on the way to a tournament and a buddy of mine gave me a dozen gold tips as part of the deductable, once I had a taste of what gold tip has to offer I have been shooting them since. Once you tell me exactly what kind of shooting you are going to do I can help you pick because it is hard to pick with so many choices out there.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
When I choose an arrow, I know that my bow has an IBO of 347 max. So does the program I use. So, I will need a stiffer spine than say, an older bow with a lower IBO. Compared to say a Mathews Switchback ST, with an IBO of 315, and my bow at the same draw length , the arrow will accelerated out of my bow much faster. So if I'm shooting the XT, I use a 400 spine shaft and if I'm shooting my Strother, I shoot a 340 or 330 shaft because it launches out of my bow much faster. If I top a 400 spine shaft now with a broadhead, the arrow will curve away from the point of aim because it flexes too much and the sudden wind forced on the blades will pull it in another direction because the shaft flexes too much when it comes out of the bow. I prefer carbon shafts to aluminum because carbon is lighter making the arrow faster, and aluminum bends. If you shoot those you should have an arrow straightener. Plus, carbon arrows are slimmer and buck transient wind currents much better. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
At 25" and 30 pounds, you will need a 800 (weaker) to 700(stronger) spine arrow depending on the length you cut them (style of arrow rest) and point weight. Do you think you will be going up in pounds in the future or growing? you can use the stiffer arrow and cut then a few inches long. Check the AT classifieds and get some good used arrows!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts