Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrows

769 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  deer man
whats the best bolts to use for treestand and ground hunting
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
What bow are you shooting?
I've got to admit I'm kind of partial to Gold Tip arrows, with 110 grn brass inserts and 2" Blazers for veins. I tip min with Slick Trick mags, either 100 gr or 125 depending on which bow I'm using> Found them to hit so close to where the same weight field tips hit that I don't practice with broadheads any longer.
Slicks give me great terminal performance and consistency of point of impact from arrow to arrow.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
we use arrows in modern CB shooting. you can use carbon or alum. alum. 2114-2117-2216-2219. carbon GoldTip-Vapor-Victory-Carbon Express-Easton. all of them are good it comes down to your personal likes. how heavy or light you want the arrow to be. do you want alum. front inserts or brass inserts ? rear nok want alum. or plastic ? feathers or vanes ?

· Registered
4,251 Posts
foc is important to the toon of 15-20% crossbows like a heavy front end.

Brian
i've been hearing alot of the need for heavy fronts, is this only important for longer ranges or will adding weight in the front give you tigher groups at 30 or less also?

and why is such a heavy front needed when in say a compound shooting at300 fps with a 28 in arrow at 475 or so grns you only need 100 grn heads with a standard aluminum insert for good groups?

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
FOC is more important to crossbows becasue the arrows are shorter, and therefore, have a lower ballistic coefficient than those for verts. CB arrows with lower FOC can be caused to plane by their broad head. Adding wieght to the front and keeping the broadhead's profile small (I prefer smallish 4 bladed heads like Slick Tricks mags) prevents planing. Accuracy is improved over the entire spectrum of shooting distance, IMO. I prefer at least 15% FOC for my arrow (Google FOC).

· Registered
4,251 Posts
FOC is more important to crossbows becasue the arrows are shorter, and therefore, have a lower ballistic coefficient than those for verts. CB arrows with lower FOC can be caused to plane by their broad head. Adding wieght to the front and keeping the broadhead's profile small (I prefer smallish 4 bladed heads like Slick Tricks mags) prevents planing. Accuracy is improved over the entire spectrum of shooting distance, IMO. I prefer at least 15% FOC for my arrow (Google FOC).
thanks Cossack....is this less of an issue if you use mechanicals which have little to no profile?

· Registered
574 Posts
Foc

I am told to much FOC lowers the spine in a crossbow bolt which is not good and will cause bad groups or worse. The overall FOC that is recommended is 7-15%, by the so called experts. I like Carbon Express Maxima hunters they give you a head start with the design and allow for a 100 grain broadhead, which gives you alot more choices without trying to add weight. Footbalfan

· Registered
2,814 Posts
bolts

im shooting the bolts i got with my excalibur.excalibur fire bolts by easton.i added brass inserts to these with 100 grain heads im at 456 grains,and they hit like a tank.i shot them through my block target and through my 3/4" conveyor belt.tells you what they will do when they hit bone,good bolts,JIM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.