Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, some of you know that I'm in love with heavy arrows and broadheads as I already stated here several times.

I've found the "GRIZZLYSTIK" arrowshafts on this website:
http://216.15.172.36/default.php?cPath=22&osCsid=7ebca2bb5e4247469b79037c4a419b25

Hey, up to 15gr./in. + brass inserts, I love it.
I wonder if somebody ever tried these shafts here. I know that most guys here like to zip a 350gr. arrow at 300fps trough a whitetail but maybe I'm lucky and somebody can tell me more about that stuff.
They are expensive but really look indestructible.

Thanks
Markus

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
2440s - a 30" one with a 180 grain point is pushing 1100 grains all up. They've gone into stone walls and survived perfectly straight (although the point was mashed to hell and gone)

If you want a couple to play with, drop me a line - I have quite a few around...

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
using a grain scale............

weigh out 11/32 cedar shafts to a 5-10 minimum variance
taper the ends out for a regular nock fitting....... install them in an older style xx75 2317, leaving enough room for an insert ( fairly precise measurements are needed so the cedar won't float.
your average ARROW weight will be over 1000 grains ( before points, fletch, etc. ) and pass thru 2 car doors ( seen it done )

all this and you should be able to shoot it at 70 lbs.

if this is too much work..............try Carbon Express Terminator Hunter Shafts, plenty of weight and easy to assemble

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
duggaboy,

LOL. If you are going to shoot arrows that heavy you might as well just throw your bow at the critter. You know . . . I've got a couple pieces of steel rebar that you would go nuts over. 30" and weight about 2lbs. Only problem is you'd need 8 pins to make it out to 20 yards. ;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
duggaboy,

I think you have the right concept, when it comes to bowhunting at close ranges, especially if the game is really big. Next year I plan on adding about 100 grains of weight, so my arrow is in the 550 grain area. Speed is only somewhat important if you don't know how far you're shooting and you tend to take longer shots.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shirt said:
2440s - If you want a couple to play with, drop me a line - I have quite a few around...
Thanks Shirt but I got about 2 dozen 2440's in 33" right here.

I don't need +1000gr.
My preferable weight is somewhere between 600 and 750 grains.
According to the "Shaft drag factor" being a part of the "Tissue Penetration Index" (T.P.I) of Dr. Ashby and also my tests and findings, I generally prefer thin (but heavy ) shafts.
So currently I shoot A/C Kinetic II with a 10" glue-in carbonshaft. That does 505 gr. without a broadhead. Usually I shoot my SilverFlame 150gr. broadhead, so I'm around with 655gr., getting 272 fps out of my bow.

I wonder what is the outside diameter of the Grizzlystik shafts.
They are beautiful as well. I've already sent an email to this company but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
118 Posts
Markus,

I would not recommend these shafts. I bought a dozen for using with my recurve, which is what they were really intended for...they look more like a fishing rod to me. I think they were actually made by St. Croix, a manufacturer of fishing rods. The tolerance on straightness is only like .006, they are not consistent in weight tolerance either...mine had a 50 grain variance from high to low. I did not check for spine consistency. The taper is also so radical!! They could probably work ok on my 53 pound recurve, but I will not consider them on my compound.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, Charlie.

50grains weight difference :eek: WOW.
Now I don't wonder anymore why these guys didn't answer my questions.
Okay, it seems I still have to shoot doubleshafted arrows:) .

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes,
next to the GT BIG GAME they are my first choice.
The camo of the Kinetic II looks a bit like a "Thanks-giving-decoration" but fortunately the game don't care which color is zipping through its vitals:p .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts