Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m currently shooting arrows that weighs about 300 gr with a 60# bow. I´m looking to buy some new arrows that will weigh about 280 - 285 gr. Is that too low or can I go lower without risking the bow?

Some guys talk about a 5gr/pound limit but other says you can go lower.

·
A.K.A. Big JW
2,698 Posts
You should not go any lower than 5 grains per pound, if you do it could cause damage to your bow. Also will probably void your warranty and it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I would not go any lower unless you are looking to buy a new bow every couple of months when the old ones keep blowing up:wink:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
safty...

The 5gr per pound is as big a safty rule as not to dry fire your bow!!! Dosent mean it will blow up everytime, just that it could alot easier!!!! good rule to follow!!! dont go any lighter,at your setup now Id crank the bow down a couple pounds myself...

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Haldir said:
I´m currently shooting arrows that weighs about 300 gr with a 60# bow. I´m looking to buy some new arrows that will weigh about 280 - 285 gr. Is that too low or can I go lower without risking the bow?

Some guys talk about a 5gr/pound limit but other says you can go lower.
What make bow? and what is your draw length? what is the purpose for going lighter with the arrow?

I have shot some lighter than 5 gains/lb out of some 50 lb bows and it hasn't hurt anything. didn't realize any improvement either.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
There is no way I would drop below 5 grain per pound with that draw length and those cams.....none whatsoever.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
hoggin03 said:
Mind if I ask why you would want to?
GOT to have MORE speed.......that’s the thing that’s being crammed down everyone’s throat by the Manufactures and people keep eating it up not matter what the cost:eek: :zip:

·
Banned
1,426 Posts
I don't so much think its being crammed down everyones throat but I do think that those who have shot long distance with a faster bow or shot heavy arrows out of a faster bow usually see the advantages it can give you and like the results. I for one would like to see bows pushed even farther. As efficiency of the bow progress so will the return of energy which is a good thing. Right now things are progressing slowly but if you compare the big 3s designs (bt binaries at86%) ((hoyt trycon at 84%) (mathews sw at 85%) to most other companies at around 82% return of energy you can get more speed or ke or momentum without changingthe draw curve. I personally would like to see a bow break the 350 ibo mark this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts