Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Team 4 Play
17,306 Posts
I have the H7 Pro jacket (because it's 3 jackets in one) and the H8 pants. They are as warm as they claim and then some. Do NOT do a lot of walking or deer drives while wearing it because you will be a sweaty mess well before you're done. I never wanted to spend a lot of bucks on clothing, very glad I did on these two items.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have H4 series jacket and pants. Works incredibly well. Also bought beanie. Keeps head super warm. Just remember not to put these clothes in the dryer. Will ruin them. Have to drip-dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not to impressed with the set I bought at Cabela's last fall. (H4?)

Their design is to be thin and "reflect" your body heat back at you, but they are not near as warm as wool or thinsulate.

I wish I would have bought the extreme stand hunter stuff instead.

On a 30 degree day it might keep a guy in the stand, but after that.....................

I'm not trying to bash them, just my personal experience.

·
Vendor
90,496 Posts
Arctic shield is great clothing...we sell a bunch with good results...pm us if you need help

·
Team 4 Play
17,306 Posts
I forgot to mention that it depends on what model you get. The 3 is not nearly as good as the 5-9 series and unfortunately is the one most people buy because it's the only option at the store or they wanted something inexpensive. Also the 3 series was much louder than the others. My H7 and H8 I can and did sit all day long when temps were dipping into single-negative digits for a low and they are very quiet.

I've always used my drier when done washing them with no ill effects either but I'm going to look into what another poster mentioned about having to drip dry them.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Trust me h4 series is great. Sat for 4-5 hrs with two thin layers underneath and was fine. Definitely don't wear it walking to your stand. Generates a lot of heat. Base layer i wore off brand under armor and then midweight thermals over that. Top it off with jacket pants beanie and facemask. Good to go.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the H3 bibs. I ordered a large since thats what most my clothes are but they were huge. Sent them back and got a medium. Still a little big but they work. I have to shorten the straps on them so they would fit right.

I think they are great and plenty warm. I use mine for ice fishing and deer hunting once it gets below 20 degree's.

I'd love to find a H3 coat to match cheap.

·
11,949 Posts
It's hot stuff. Literally.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Love mine! I sat in 6 degrees with two thin layers underneath and stayed nice and warm. Do not do a lot of walking with them on, pack them in.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not to impressed with the set I bought at Cabela's last fall. (H4?)

Their design is to be thin and "reflect" your body heat back at you, but they are not near as warm as wool or thinsulate.

I wish I would have bought the extreme stand hunter stuff instead.

On a 30 degree day it might keep a guy in the stand, but after that.....................

I'm not trying to bash them, just my personal experience.
I will add that they work nicely with my heater body suit; very comfortable and without the bulk like other outerwear. But alone they are not as warm as traditional insulated clothing. IMO

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The h3 bibs I have are the same material as my h5 coat and just as quiet I think the older h3 stuff was a different material. I also wore it coyote hunting last winter when it was 15 out and had to unzip the legs and pit vents due to sweating.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You must be really sensitive to cold if you use arctic shield and heater body suit. Jesus! In absolutely no way are traditional insulated anything even close to as warm as arctic shield. Point of arctic shield is to wear less layers thus being less bulky.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You must be really sensitive to cold if you use arctic shield and heater body suit. Jesus! In absolutely no way are traditional insulated anything even close to as warm as arctic shield. Point of arctic shield is to wear less layers thus being less bulky.

I like to be comfortable all day, not just 4-5 hours.....

And I don't hunt in Illinois ;)

Though I'd love to someday!!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well to each his own. What works for some doesn't work for others. I was skeptical at first. H4 jacket and pants are 99.99 each at bps. To me that is very economical compared to other brands of regular insulated clothing. I would not buy it used though. Never know if someone put it in dryer by mistake or something. For price point just get it new

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the H7 bids and jacket H5 (I think) and am very happy with them. They are like anything else though, you really need to learn how to use them with your style to hunting to get the most out of them. Everyone responses to the cold in different ways also, so you have to consider how you handle the cold as well. I typically only wear a pair of poly thermals and shorts under them. I will wear this until I get close to my stand them change my shirt and dry myself off. After if have cooled down for minute and am dry I put on what I am going to wear as base and mid layer on top and put my bibs on and go on to my tree being carefull not to sweat up. You can use different layer underneath to depending on you you respond to cold. I will sometime add heat packs to my kidney area and between my shoulder blades if it is very cold add a little more heat because your body produces less heat blood flow slows down. I was someone who was alway cold, especially my feet, but sense is learned how to layer properly for the clothes I don't get cold like I used to. Alot of times now, I don't even wear insulated boots because my core temp is staying high enough that my feet stays warm.

Arctic Shield is not a miracle clothing, you have to use it correctly to get the most out of it. But, In my opinion, if you use it correctly it is well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
i bought a small jacket on clearance at bass pro several years ago, not knowing what i was getting. i saw a small jacket for 50 bucks, i thought sweet! a lightweight bowhunting jacket. i wore it the first day on a slightly cool morning. took it off about 5 steps in, already sweating. since then (about 6 years ago) i have not touched my large 4 in one big thick columbia super warm parka. this little thin jacket keeps me warm. windproof, waterproof, and if you walk at all in it, be prepared to sweat. a/c will be my next purchase when its time for more cold weather gear.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Hey guys, I thought just Bass pro sold the arctic sheild??

Also where does it say what "H" is has??? I see in the BPS catalog they have the "warmest" Rated parka for $149 and then the Pro Series but not any H number.

Can anyone clarify??

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Arctic C5 bibs. The only regrets I have is I didn't buy the jacket to go with it. You do not want to buy this outfit for walking or stalking. This is the warmest clothing I have every purchased. I wear silk base layer only with this outfit and if I walk I start to sweat. Perfect outfit for sitting and well worth the money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts