Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know everyones opinions on new bow prices. Are they to high, just right, or do you think they never charge enough for something so fun to shoot? My opinion with such a low resale value and that they don't seem to be worth much after a year, or two it stinks. I would love a new bow, but at todays prices on the top end bows I can't justify one but every 5 plus years. And then I really can't justify it. I just have to have one! I know there are a lot of high quality lower end bows, but they are creeping up in price too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
they are high. I can't afford an $850 bow without any accessories. I usually buy a new leftover on ebay for around $450 and set it up myself. works for me. I know plenty of guys that drop $1200 or more on a new set up, I can't afford to do that. From waht a buddy at the local pro show tells me, there are a lot of great $400 to $500 bows new that will do anything the more expensive ones will. for example the bear code. looks like the new code 2 is getting up there in price now

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree they're too high. however you are wrong to think in a couple of years they're over. I'm still shooting a Mathews Q2 I bought in 2000 and am still stacking 'em up. The deer haven't gotten any better in 8 years so my bow doesn't have to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They are too high for me. A lot of my buddies go out and buy the newest set up every 2 years or so, but it is too much money for me. I personnaly am tired of the every year new models claiming faster, quieter, quicker, slimmer and whatever else they can think of. But we are the idiots that sell last years 1200 dollar set up for a fraction of what we gave for it, even though it will still group at 50 yards so that we can replace it with a new one that groups just as good with a little tuning. Saying all of this if I had the money to blow I probably would change every year or two also.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I think over $600 is a little rediculous I'm guessing they must cost 1/4 that for parts and labor but it is what it is. The good news is that there are quality bows out there to fit just about anybodys budget. When I told my wife a few months ago that I was ordering an $800.0 bow she about had a cow,I told her to just be glad I'm not into classic cars or Harleys.:wink:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Prices SUck

I was guilty of getting a new bow every year for the past 10 years almost, its pretty crazy I know looking back now. I just sold my Mathews SB XT this past Feb for a fraction of what I had in it. I used that bow for two years that was the exception. I'll resort to Ebay and be shooting a Hoyt Vectrix this fall pick one up cheap there and it'll work just fine. Yeah the new Katera XL is around 800.00 bare bow I just can't justify that anymore.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
They are high, but demand dictates prices just like anything else. Obviously many people are buying, although the way the economy is headed, we might see a change, if it gets too bad? I know my bow purchase last year run 849.00, where I probably will not be buying another for several years? With two daughters in college they seem to get most of my hunting money as of lately .:sad:

·
Waiting on Season
14,910 Posts
just got my first new bow in 13 years and think the prices are higher than the balls on a giraffe but i didnt buy a new one off the shelf either because i am picky about what i hunt with and the cost and i knew what i wanted i got everything i wanted and lil more and all for about $650 accessories and all

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Too high. Alot of us ATers are indirectly / directly causing it. I don't blame any of the manufacturers either. They price things based on what they know they can get.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They are high, but demand dictates prices just like anything else. Obviously many people are buying, although the way the economy is headed, we might see a change, if it gets too bad? I know my bow purchase last year run 849.00, where I probably will not be buying another for several years? With two daughters in college they seem to get most of my hunting money as of lately .:sad:
I agree. They will continue to sell at this price long as consumers are willing to spend it.
I just purchased 2 Generals since 1st of yr. & do not see buying anything new for awhile, But that's what I thought when I bought My Swtichback LD couple yrs ago. :set1_thinking:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yep, the top of the line are higher than a cats back!! If we, would look hard at some of the lower priced bows, we will see top of the line technology from about 2 or 3 years ago, for quite a bit less than it was new then. I won't be buying a new bow this year, hopefully I didn't wear out my X-Force. However, I am going to replace my 70# limbs for a set of 60#ers because there's just no need to shoot that much draw weight today. Also replace my string and cables. That will be a couple of hundred right there and will be shooting the same bow. Dang $3.20 a gallon gas!!:frusty:

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Are new bows too expensive? Good question.

I'm very close to buying my second bow ever. I'm considering a great many points. A one year old top quality used bow goes for 1/2 the money of the same bow brand new. Add to that I'm a Southpaw. New LH bows sell for the same as new RH bows, but used LH bows are running about $100 cheaper than their RH counterparts due to the lower demand. Some will say, "but with a used bow you get no warranty" which is true. I want a brand new bow, but I'm not a wealthy person, and I'm having a tough time justifying $850 for something like a bare 2008 Vectrix when there are 2007 models available for $450-$500. As far as the warranty goes, I could buy a used bow, and accidentally destroy it, buy another used bow, and still have spent no more than I would have for a new one. Ome must also consider that a used bow has an unknown history, as opposed to a new one. This doesn't seem to be a major factor with the used bows sold, and traded here, as I can't remember the last time I saw a complaint. My first bow was a new Hoyt that I bought at Lancaster Archery. It was a very good entry level bow, and I spent $500 for the bow, with all the accessories on it. It was a great experience in that I had no idea what I was looking for, and they steered me to a perfect fit for my situation. Now I'm looking at $1200 for for a similar situation with the kind of bow I'd like to upgrade to, or I can take the top of the line accessories off of my current bow, and add them to a new bare bow and save some cash that way...or I can buy a one year old bow either way for about half of either price.

Much to consider.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I am using my 2007 x-force once again this year......It will be the first time in 10 years, that I will not go out and buy a new bow......

I think the prices are getting W A Y to high........

REv.............

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
prices are definitely too high but people are paying it. i will not nor have i dropped that kind of money on a new bow. i look on ebay and get last years model. you can always find them new still in the box. i bought a 05 bowtech patriot for 400 bucks. the bow had never seen daylight since it was built until i opened it. shot that bow for two years. i just bought an 07 bowtech tribute new in the box for 475. bow had never been shot! if you do not have to have the latest and greatest get last years latest and greatest and save a pile of money. speaking of resale, you can shoot these bows a couple of years and only lose about 100 bucks at most. i feel good selling one for 400 and buying a new one for 500. be patient and let someone else take the whooping on new bow prices. i work hard for my money and spend it wisely. my wife never complains when i buy a bow even if its every year. she knows i always get a deal. i hope this gives someone the idea on how to get a deal on a new bow.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Way too high!

AT classifieds here I come. I will take a chance getting screwed out of $400-500 in AT classifieds, rather than know I am getting screwed when I drop $800 on a new bow!:wink:

Plenty of "new" 07's available most of the year in the classifieds here, just wait and watch. Choose the seller carefully and enjoy. My last 4 bow deals in the last 2 years have all been through AT classifieds.
Best deals: 07 Hoyt Vectrix XL $410 shipped , 06 Bowtech Equalizer for $350 trade value.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I have always bought used bows and the question I ask myself is, is it really worth that much more for a new one when you can get last years for 200-300 less..

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
its like anything else,people b#tching about 500.00 to 1000.00 for a bow,but the same people are not afraid to get a loan for a $40,000.00 dollar truck,or get a loan for a $150,000.00 dollar house,you can only blame us the spoiled Americans for letting everything get out of control,if we are willing to spend the money they will keep raising up the prices or fees.its the American way to stay in debt,,there only a few of us out there that will buy everything we need in cash,MY GRANDFATHER TAUGHT ME THIS IF YOU CANT BUY IT IN CASH YOU DON'T NEED IT, short plain and simple.it may sound arrogant,but it is true.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts