Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you werent there.....you missed some of the most exciting archery shooting ever witnessed by mankind:D

first off...the event was held at anniston alabama....home of the biggest "smoke-out" in the history of weapons burning!!!!

if you could get by the distraction that chemical weapons suits were being offered for anyone in the 10 county area-the folks of anniston went above and beyond the call of duty....they passed out newspapers....all the local business's had welcome archer signs everywhere.....the local chamber organized shuttles for everyone....the whole event was a top shelf effort.....

and to top it all off....the shooting was world class....

we had a true "world" event.....participants from austraila, hungary, austria, canada, and the usa........

all the classes had great competitons....with the classic title up for grabs on most going down to the final arrows.....

my very own littlewolf finished second in the womens pro class.....what a great way to finish off the asa year and take that momentum to the ibo in snowshoe.....great job sherry:D

linda owen and kelly ward were locked into a shooter of the year battle....and linda,sherry,kelly,alica,connie calloway were in a great battle for the classic championship.....finishing in that order for the classic....all the while linda and kelly were simultaneously shooting for the classic and shooter of the year honors....this battle took 7 overtime arrows to settle it...with kelly winning the shooter of the year battle on that final arrow....great job kelly, and great job linda.... great years for both of you...

all of the classes had drama and it seemed that it took the final arrow to bring closure to all the titles......

the first shootoff had the limited pro shooters.....with gene curry from texas(dont mess with texas) winning it on the final arrow....and this whole shootdown was very exciting as the group were all within 3 points of each other during the shootoff....with the last arrow coming into play...and gene won it with a perfect pinwheel shot.....and the shooter of the year went down to the final target with one of the goza's pitted on the same stake as rodney huffman.....and they were both tied with points .....and goza just edged out rodney by a mere point or two to win the shooter of the year honors.....great job guys....

everyone in the stands knew when the seniors took center stage they were going to be in for a treat....these guys looked like they all had come out of retirement of there glory days...these guys were fit....jackie looked like he was ready to climb into the ring and go 15 rounds with the likes of lennox lewis....i dont know what kind of workout routine that guy is on...but i want some!!! and as usual, tom crowe was rock solid....with randal, les, and larry right there in the mix of things....and when it was all said and done....jackie had defeated tom on the final arrow...to claim yet another classic world title.....with tom crowe finishing a great year off with the shooter of the year honors.....

the open pro class had more drama than the evening news covering the chemical incinerations going on at the base......the shootoff started out with richard leftwich in first, jack wallace in second, paul thompson in third, colin boothe in fourth, and eric griggs in 5th.....with the first arrow the drama started...richard fired at the 14 ring trying for the first round knockout....only to come up with the 8....and paul and colin hitting the 12's....with jack and eric nailing the center 10's.....and colin and paul seemed like every arrow of theres were 12's with the rest of them settleing for 10's.....and after the 5 shootoff arrows ended...they all were within 5 or so points of each other....and the sixth and final arrow saw eric with a perfect 10....jack also with the 10....and paul shot the 12 forcing both colin and richard to hit a 10 or better to beat him....

richard took the first shot....nailing the 12 and doing his best tiger woods fist pump.....forcing colin to 12 or better for the tie or win....and colin seemingly unfazed by all the noise and excitement....took to the stake....nocking his arrow.....drawing and holding steady.......fired away what from 46 yards away appeared to be too close for the crowd to call.....so after the judges flashed the 10 card....making richard the new open pro asa world champ in many years....knocking jeff hopkins off the title he seemly held forever......however all was not lost for jeff, he still claimed his 8th shooter of the year title......

with all this world class shooting and drama....i cant wait to load up the deeremax with lilwolf and head to snowshoe.....toting along the international team of aussie and brit shooters with us...

3d is were its meant to be.....

·
Occam's Razor
8,314 Posts
Thanks for the report

Appreciate the report OBT.............you had a good time no doubt....:D ...........ck

·
Registered
212 Posts
OBT, sounds like one heck of a time !!!! tell Littlewolf great job !!! and let ME be the first one on this thread to say wa to go Mathews !!!!!!!!!! Oh I know why do we have to go down this road, Mathews VS Hoyt, well if I don't start it someone else will. By the way how did you fare ?????

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
loopone,you had to ask:( ......hehe....well lets just say....i was the fare...

i had a great shot or two though:D

i had way to much fun going on to worry about scores....why i left this whole event only 2 down....(2 arrows that is-2flybys on the very first round).....

ill tell the wolf hey for you....and looking forward to doing this all over again this weekend in snowshoe!!!!!

king of the clay....it was a great time....i wish everyone could experience this event through there own eyes though.....they might actually give some credit to some of the best shooters in the world......

oh ya loopone....it did look like in the end, that hoyt came out of the gate strong this year in 3d, but it was mathews who closed strong.....

however....at the classic this year....it was eric griggs and his hoyt who made the best shot....a 100 yard shot at a dot and blew up a target to win himself a cool $1000 for his efforts.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
me and the wife got back late last night and we both agree that it was the most fun we have had in a long time. we most definately will be on the scene in '04. though our shooting wasn't the greatest it seemed miniscule compared to all the nice people we met. archery has to have the nicest "competitors" of any other sport. special shout out to don deere & the deere heerd, obt, stoderette(debbie), dry fire, fogg dogg, and the many others that i met but forgot your names, but surely would not forget you if i saw you. thanks again.:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here here..... tell Littlewolf great shooting.:D

Ahhh OBT.....you forgot the mention how the "most electrifying man in Archery"........the Rob.....laid the smack down on one half of the "Duo" at the Classic.:) Robzilla would have compaired his score to yours since we did shoot the same course......but you were at a disadvantage.:D See, the Rob and DonDeere were in the same group "slingin & flingin" all weekend long. Wait you were suck with those uptight Open wanna-B's.:D

But it was Robzilla's pleasure to finally meet the one and only...OneBowTie.

Next year (God willing) the Rob is going to shoot more of the Pro/Am's in the Class of "Unlimited" talent and fun. We'll have to get together and shoot the known distance Sims so you might have a chance against the "Great One".

Oh....by the way, Dondeere's "nerve" gas was the most powerful agent being released at Anniston. WHHHEEEEWWWWwwwwww!!!! Talk about making your toe nail cruel.:D Thanks alot for filling him up Stoderette.:D

Would love to be at the IBO World with y'all. Good luck to y'all up there. But the Rob is going to be laying the smack down on the moving and pop-up targets at the Buckmasters Indoor WORLD Championship. WOOOOOooooo!!!! "slingin & flingin" and looking as only the Rob can look. IF YOU SSMMMEELLLLLLLL, WHAT THE ROB IS SLINGIN'.;):D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts