Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the ASA have a outlaw class. Shoot any speed, any bow, any equipment. Just shoot what you bring

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Absolutly!!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have tried an Outlaw class with our local clubs, unfortunately there were many more whiners about not having one, than actual shooters once the class was offered. ASA does not need any more classes with just a handful of shooters. IHO.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Thats all we need is another class. I know everybody needs a place but i look at the list sometimes and shake my head. ibo and asa

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Should the ASA have a outlaw class. Shoot any speed, any bow, any equipment. Just shoot what you bring
What would this do for the shooters? Would this make ASA better? Would more people shoot because of this? I think the ASA seems to do a good job dividing up the classes and trying to put everyone on a level playing field. What is the purpose of and outlaw class? Is it so the speeds can be more like IBO? I think the rules for the classes are made up for a reason. The speed limit helps put a long draw guy in the same game as a short draw guy. In my opinion a class that is against the current rules dosen't help the majority of the shooters.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,020 Posts
Don't need it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Sure. No trophy. No payments. Though.......

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
it has its place just like any other class. Today it can prove a little challenging to get a bow down to 280. Guys that want to shoot their hunting bows or people just addicted to speed need a place to go. The 50yards that is the max for the class is enough of a handicap dont you think?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
That is the unlimited class in my neck of the wood no speed limit. Shoot what ever you want and its the best class. Go fast or go home class.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would this do for the shooters? Would this make ASA better? Would more people shoot because of this? I think the ASA seems to do a good job dividing up the classes and trying to put everyone on a level playing field. What is the purpose of and outlaw class? Is it so the speeds can be more like IBO? I think the rules for the classes are made up for a reason. The speed limit helps put a long draw guy in the same game as a short draw guy. In my opinion a class that is against the current rules dosen't help the majority of the shooters.

Just putting it out there. Just be interesting to see if it would draw some shooters. I here people say from time to time they would shoot if they offered a class like that.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
John like we talked about ,I bet it would draw some shooters .With today's bows as fast as they are why not .With my MR7 at 58 lb's I'm shooting my hunting arrows at 286fps they weigh 370 some grains .I tryed shooting my fat boys and I had to back it down to 52lb's to be legal.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,020 Posts
First, it gonna happen. First again, the 280 fps rule lets all be competitive. Even with today's bows lots of short draw people can't reach 300 fps. I'm talking average people, not muscle bulging people.

Still, I see no reason why a club or clubs find out if a Fire breathing class would fill up. To enter the bow must prove it can reach a minimum of 310 fps. Yep, chronograph each bow entering. Why? Because some body with a slower bow that has done their judging yardage home will kick their butts...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Where is the "minimum 310fps" coming from? We have the Outlaw class in the MI ASA and if you shoot over 288fps you're shooting in the Outlaw.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,020 Posts
Why 310 fps? Simple. The NFAA has 300 fps + 3% for error, so 309 fps. The ASA has 280 + 3% error = 288 - 289 and you're out. The IBO has no speed limit with exception of those who shoot arrows lighter than 5 grs per pound of draw weight. As such 280 + 3% error.

Want Fire Breathers, then lets have Fire Breathers. You guys have to remember. We had bows pushing 330 fps 12 years ago.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I think it's a great idea. This elite group could just shoot their bows thru the chronograph and pass out the awards. That way they could get the shoot over early, then they could climb back into their loud trucks with lift kits. and big tires and go brag about how fast their outlaw bows are and how much better they are than just plain bows. Also a division for the most tricked out bow would also work too.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Not going to happen so don't look for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts