Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Considering buying some new camo for the upcoming bow season and would like some opinions.
I'll be mostly treestand hunting in the northeast in mostly somewhat open hardwoods. The leaves don't start dropping around here until mid-late October. Now do I go with an Asat leafy suit or a Scent-Lok suit?
I know both have their benefits, but if you were to buy one set, what would it be?

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
Go with the ASAT 3D. Better camo pattern. Jury is out on effectiveness of the Scent-Lok technology.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If it were me I would get a scent lok suit. I have used ASAT camo before and it worked but, I didn't like the fact that it faded out so fast. I have been using Scent lok suits every since they came out and to be honest I wouldn't hunt without it. I know that there have been many arguements on here about scent lok and whether it works. From my experience the stuff works great and has saved my butt so many times it's unbelievable. Scent lok all the way.

·
Banned
729 Posts
buckhunter2054 said:
If it were me I would get a scent lok suit. I have used ASAT camo before and it worked but, I didn't like the fact that it faded out so fast. I have been using Scent lok suits every since they came out and to be honest I wouldn't hunt without it. I know that there have been many arguements on here about scent lok and whether it works. From my experience the stuff works great and has saved my butt so many times it's unbelievable. Scent lok all the way.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
If they made a Scent-Lok suit in ASAT Camo pattern, then everyone would be happy! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I Jumped On The Scentloc Band Wagon Years Ago Also. Sometimes It Seemed To Work Really Well Sometimes Not. Its Been Proven That The Most Odor Emitted In The Field Is From Your Breath. It Just Finally Occured To Me, (this Is My Opinion) That It Wouldnt Contain All Of The Odor, It Cant There Is Still To Much Exposed. I Also Hunt Off Of The Ground Usually Hiking Up Up And Down Mountains Chasing Elk. The Scentlock Suit Was Way To Warm And I Just Figured The Extra Sweat Was Just More It Couldnt Eliminate. Dont Get Me Wrong I Think It Works To Some Extent, Chance Are That Extent May Get A Guy That Extra Step Or Extra Second. I Still Wear It When Its Cold Out Kind Of Like Long Underwear. Helps Ease My Mind That I Am Getting My Moneys Worth. I Do Also Wear Asat And I Wouldnt Hunt With Out It I Know For Sure It Works And It Has Gotten Me That Extra Step And Extra Second. My Strong Recommendation Is To Buy The Asat 3d Suit And Hunt The Wind Experience Says Even With Scentloc You Need To Hunt The Wind.

·
Addicted Elkhunter
2,240 Posts
I take a shower everyday with the soaps that kill your scent, can't remember the name. Use the deodorant from Robinsons labs. It seems to work. I have had elk look me in the face at 3' and deer circle me at 8 feet trying like heck to figure out what in the world I am and never did all while wearing asat 3-d. However, I have had them bust me in the same suit at 30yds and it wasn't from the wind or movement, they just seemed to know I did not belong there and they left pronto.

I think we all place to much emphasis on camo, heck, I'm kind of a camo junkie myself owning way to many different patterns. Now a days I use the available terrain to my utmost advantage hiding behind anything and everything and keeping the sun at my back if possible. The available foliage breaks up your shape even more. I draw my bow when I can't see the animals eye, if you can see the eye they can see you, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
To each his/her own. As Mark Twain said, "if you don't read the newspaper you are not informed, if you do read the newspaper you are mis-informed."

·
Registered
190 Posts
?

txgolfer45 said:
If they made a Scent-Lok suit in ASAT Camo pattern, then everyone would be happy! :darkbeer:
That pretty much nails it!

Isn't this thread asking about two different topics - a camo pattern (
ASAT) and clothing lining (Scent-loc/blocker) ?

With the scent-loc linings or base layers, you can add it to any ASAT patterned clothing (or MO or Pred or whatever flavor blows air up your skirt). Apples and oranges here.:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
hayslope said:
That pretty much nails it!

With the scent-loc linings or base layers, you can add it to any ASAT patterned clothing (or MO or Pred or whatever flavor blows air up your skirt). Apples and oranges here.:confused:
Agreed...

·
Banned
729 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/publish/article_169.shtml

Found this article on Scent Lok. Interesting conclusions.
Sounds like a carbon clothes bashing with a little nod to No-Trace,Contain,and X-scent,in my opinion. The author went to great lengths to try to convince the readers that the carbon suits do not work,but went on to say that there were "other" options for hunters and was quick to state the claims of these "other" companies,but failed to do such elaborate research to try and falsify these claims as he did with the carbon suits.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hayslope said:

uh, no. I wasn't asking which option was the best camo, which controlled scent better, etc. I asked which would you buy, if you were to chose one. Let me make it simple for you. Pretend I was asking which pet should I chose, a cat or a dog? Both are completely different, but you can still give me an answer based upon your own experiences with each. Hope this clears up your confusion. :embara:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Season-based Camo

Will try to clear it up.

Some like to choose a camo pattern based on the season.

In the early season, you might try a pattern with a bit more green.

I like the ASAT and Predator FALL Gray/Brown for a bit later when the leaves have changed colors and started to drop, and expecially later when there are no leaves. I believe both ASAT and Predator have it nailed for actually breaking up (sorry MO) your outline later in the season.

That aside, I own a BUNCH of MO Break-up clothes.

Regardless of pattern, if the clothes don't already have a scent-loc or blocker lining, I just wear either X-scent or Scent-loc base layers.

You are somewhat limited in what patterns and styles you can buy WITH a scent-loc lining. If you like the ASAT leafy pattern, go for it. You can always add base layers later if you think you need to focus more on scent control using the scent-loc or blocker stuff.

From a pattern point-of-view, I really don't think you can go wrong with ASAT or Predator. My only concern with ASAT is the apparent limitation on clothing styles available (weight, gore-tex, scent-loc lining, etc). There are some companies that will make their clothes in most of the available patterns, but they tend to be a little pricey.

Ultimately, it comes down to this. If you like the ASAT outfit, buy it and don't worry about the lining. You can focus on showering in scent-free soap, try not to get too sweaty on the way to your stand and (the key) pay attention to the wind.

Without focusing on the wind direction, I truly believe the possiblity of getting busted exists with or without scent-loc or blocker.

In the old days, no one had scent-loc, scent-free soaps, etc. When I was a kid in PA, we didn't even have camo. I didn't buy camo until Treebark became available. We killed deer. We also got busted if we didn't pay attention to the wind.

Buy the ASAT suit and pay attention to wind direction. Save your coin and buy some scent-loc base layers later if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
294 Posts
ASAT in Scen-Lok

Are you strictly asking about the ASAT 3D suit, or ASAT in general?

If you want a Scent Lok suit in the ASAT pattern, you can order one from Day One camouflage. Gary offers Scentl-Lok liners in all of his clothes and he carries ASAT in Bucksuede, cotton, wool and fleece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts