Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I read a lot of it. Um, makes me really wonder if I'm shooting the right broadhead. Danke.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Excellent info

Real world testing the way it should be. I know I can't afford to do tests like these. So I'm glad DR. Ashby has done them for me/us. And I was partially right about the K.E. not being the final factor in taking game.

Good reading but you better go to the latrine first it'll take awhile.

Out for now

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes guys, there`s nothing so close to bowhunting reality than good ol doc's reports.

I've translated his articles to German for the bowhunters here in Europe and his testing results had a big influence in developing my own broadheads.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'd read part of that back aways when Tradition Bowhunter magazine printed it in multiple parts. Good reading and those interested in terminal balistics should consider it required reading.

Thanks for posting the link duggaboy. What does duggaboy mean/stand for if anything? Just curious.

Another item. Tried to save the photos of your future projects and they save, but come out blank. ??? Never seen that before. Maybe they haven't materialized?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tejas,
"duggaboy" is the nick name of a Cape buffalo, given by African big game hunters. Some call that animal also "The Black Death" but I found "duggaboy" sounds better.

Sorry for confusing you with the pictures, they are protected with a simple trick, not to get copied so easy.

Just send me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I will send you the DragonSlayer pic or whatever you want.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
710 Posts
Great study. In the last 15 yrs of bowhunting, I've shot everything from flyweight mechanicals off screaming fast compounds to stout fixed blades from "significantly slower" selfbows. ;) The study's conclusions are very interesting and concur with everything I've noticed.

Dr. Ashby has allowed bowhunters to make educated broadhead choices by reviewing the information contained in the Natal Study. Thanks for posting. The Ashby study does not seem to get the popular attention and respect it should among bowhunters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the info I will take a look at it in depth. Might have to switch my broadheads.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks again. Your web page didn't display well with Internet Explorer, but your broadheads look very impressive. Perhaps 5shot could test them? I'll send him a PM and see if he can do that.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
C++,

my website is best displayed at 1024x768, type size "medium".
On the other hand my broadheads have already been tested in real animal tissue. I truly appreciate all the work that 5Shot is doing for and sharing with us but I'm not a big friend of this kind of testing for several reasons.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
duggaboy, thanks for posting the link I found it very intresting, and considering the equipment of the day and from what I know of broadhead preformance now I would say the results are pretty much on track. Many of the heads listed are not even in production now. I wonder how things would work out if this exact same kind of testing was done with todays modern equipment? Todays bows generate a lot more energy and todays heads are much tougher than those we used just a few years ago. I will say this, while I am a fan of multiple blade heads for deer size game, even elk, if I were to go to Africa or hunt Moose, I know I would be shooting a high quality tough 2 blade head, with a heavier arrow. As for you sending heads for testing, I respect your opinions and actually agree with you on many points. I have always said my tests don't tell you what the head will do on game, but I do feel they seperate the junk from the mediocore to the best. I have checked your heads out, and from what I have read and seen they look very impressive. I am sure they would do well in the testing, but I also suspect that they cost would be high, of course I know exactly what you made the heads for, and you get what you pay for. Thanks again for all the information, it was some great reading and eye opening to say the least.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5shot,
good to hear you statement.
Don't know if you got a similar saying in English but in German :"I'm sitting between two chairs". I guess you know what I mean.
On the one side I totally agree with you about the performance of todays bows and broadheads and a well-made multiblader is not the wrong choice for the game you've mentioned and again, I highly appreciate that there's somebody who is testing todays broadheads under identical conditions with a senseful rating.
I'm absolutely sure that your published tests have already avoided dozens of woundlosses.
On the other side, I'm still so stubborn to say that there's nothing like real world testing (on dead animals or parts of course) and that my broadheads are ONLY made and optimized for this purpose.

Btw, I don't think there's everything fine in Ashby's testing.
I remember a test he was shooting at a Zebra's scapular with his modified Grizzly broadhead from his longbow and with a multibladed broadhead and a carbonarrow from a compound. In this special case the Grizzly outpenetrated the multiblader of course but both arrows had an identical momentum. So, if it would be real scientific, Ashby should have switch the broadheads. Strictly following his "Tissue penetration index" the carbonarrow would had a better penetration now than the wooden shaft because of the lower shaft drag factor.

When I was reading his articles the first time I was in Africa and my professional guide showed me the articles and said that traditional bowhunters has been banned out of many hunting areas because of causing so much woundlosses and now they try to get their foot in the door again because of these articles.

To put it in a nutshell, I find Asby's studys very conclusive and closer to real bowhunting than anything else what I've found about testing but for me it's obviously that there's a intention to put the light on the traditional bowhunters and to push the compound-bowhunters into the shade. Maybe I'm wrong but looks like this for me somehow.
Markus

·
Registered
518 Posts
Those are some awesome looking heads.Man you need to get an english translation my german is a little rusty.I agree with 5shot on deer sized game a 3 or 4 blade head or mechanical and a moderate weight arrow is fine.I too would use a heavier arrow and 2 blade head on african game.Maybe tink can hook us up with a little live broadhead test in the dark land:).How much do your heads sell for in us dollars DB?

CB

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CB,
I will upload the English version of my website in a few days.

At the page "Preise" you will find the prices in EURO and a link to a currency converter. It's about $48.00 for three.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That is good news. With another test and with the testing methodology updated to correct any shortcoming (what researcher hasn't wanted to improve his work?) from the first reports, this ought to give us some solid information and lay to rest some percieved notions that we have all wondered about.

·
ONEshotONEsoul
4,627 Posts
Most of this research was done in 1986. The bow I shoot is pretty average with an IBO 326. This being said I don't think most of this pertains to me. The technology out now is way different. Cool read though even though I probably will never hunt with a recurve.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I took Dr Ashby's advice when I went to Australia 2 years ago. 900 Grain arrow with the Ashby head out of my 82# Hoyt. 4 dead Buff and a pass through on everyone. My partner did the same thing. Very impressive on thick skinned, dangerous game.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts