Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you interested in Asian style bows and a little history check out this website- www.grozerarchery.com

My next bow will probably be of Mongolian origin. I also like the Saluki line of bows, they are of modern materials with old age influence.

Have fun and keep an open mind:cool:

Out for now

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the link. I've seen the site before. It appears his base finish bows are similar to what I have already.

Apparently, these bows are produced in solid fiberglass, standard wood and fiberglass laminates or traditional materials. The price difference between the base and the traditional is about a factor of 10 with the modern laminates falling into the upper modern recurve or flatbow price range.

I haven't tried any of the assymmetrical limbed bows. They impose a certain complexity owing to the fact the limbs should still recover simultaneously. Their original purpose was evidently to provide a longer bow that would still work on horseback.

Something to remember is that these bows don't stack like conventional recurves because they don't uncoil to use Viper's terminology. The resistence is pretty linear after some initial abruptness. I think it's rather close to what one experiences with some compounds, without the letoff of course.

Interestingly the bowyer at the site refers to his bows as compound, which is actually the more traditional term rather than the currently popular composite. That latter term was probably adopted to distinguish the bows from the newer compound mechanical bows.

However, the traditional term is probably just as applicable as it is with newer mechanical bows because these Asiatic bows are not only composed of laminates in many cases but also compounded of five distinct parts, very much like modern compounds with their handle-risers, limbs and wheels or cams. The Asiatic bows have handles, limbs and sihas or ears.

To my mind they seem to be a far more elegant solution to the short bow problem than the modern compound. I hope in the future the solution might become more popular, although that's problematic given that they are a good deal harder to shoot than a modern compound.

However, for anybody who feels up to the challenge, they might prove a very satisfying alternative and I hope those people will take advantage of the opportunities presented by these modern Magyar bowyers.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
ex-diver,
I purchased a "horsebow" from 3 Rivers Archery and have had lot's of fun with it. You can see them at www.horsebows.com . The bow that I own is called the Magyar Sport and it's a blast to shoot. It doesn't group arrows very well, but if you're shooting at individual targets it's very accurate. :rolleyes: Not sure why, but it doesn't matter much as I hit what I'm aimming at when I'm hunting. :D

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were really easy then everyone would be.......

Seymour, I'd have to say I concur to your post especially the last paragraph.

BH57 nice bow and keep on shooting, conditioning and thought process is an awesome beast.

Good luck
Out for now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts