Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start asking around and calling property owners that live near me up in NE Illinois (I live in one of the best big buck states but have never hunted it if you can believe it). I have never asked anyone for permission to hunt, but am fairly outgoing. those of you who have gotten access what tips can you provide a newbie with?

Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just print out and mail them all your letter of permissions and tell them to sign them and send them back to you. If you send enough letters out your bound to get some yes answers. Put little kisses on the envelopes and include some pictures of all your monster bucks.

·
Mountain Life
6,857 Posts
I wouldn't call...Face to face would be better...IMHO

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I am going to start asking around and calling property owners that live near me up in NE Illinois (I live in one of the best big buck states but have never hunted it if you can believe it). I have never asked anyone for permission to hunt, but am fairly outgoing. those of you who have gotten access what tips can you provide a newbie with?

Thanks
Local church, talk to the minister about elderly members who need help around the homestead.

marty

·
Registered
727 Posts
It depends on the landowners you are going after. Irregardless, be professional and show your respect for them, their property, and the game. I prefer making a trip to visit someone face to face. Appearance is a big key. I usually wear a polo shirt and nice jeans (no camo), and my truck is not plastered with hunting decals (not that I despise those that are). Make a good first impression through being polite. Ask how they are doing, and listen to their response. Explain who you are, what you do, your family, and your values which leads into being a steward of the outdoors (in different words) and ask them if they would allow you to hunt their property. It is easier to get permission if you emphasize what makes you a safe hunter and how you will respect their wishes to only take X deer or go to this section of their property or let them know when you will be on their property. Offer to help them if they are farmers, elderly, or just any way in return. Posting property in return for privileges has got permission before.

If they say no, ask them to help you understand why they will not let you hunt their land. It may be something as simple as littering hunters prior to you. If they still do not want to let you hunt, tell them you appreciate their time and ask if they have neighbors that may let you hunt. Also, give them your information in case they change their mind. Now is a good time to discuss leasing if you are willing to do that also.

Good luck! The worst that can happen is that they say no.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just print out and mail them all your letter of permissions and tell them to sign them and send them back to you. If you send enough letters out your bound to get some yes answers. Put little kisses on the envelopes and include some pictures of all your monster bucks.
I wish i had monster bucks to show off :cry:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pick up a copy of the local plat book. I'm always amazed that I'm usually just a friend of a friend away from having a solid connection with the landowner. Then ask respectfully and politely:)

·
G5 killing machine
4,827 Posts
I go and ask. I don't wear crappy clothes and don't play any thumpin music when I pull up to there house. Not saying you guys do or anything. I get out, walk up the house, and ask. I haven't been turned down yet. But have been told no rifle hunting on one farm. Which is ok by me. Around here people don't care, just as long as you ask. I also call the land owner and advise them that I will be out that day hunting. That away they know I'm out there. Might get some ticked off by me calling all the time but hey as long as they know right.

·
Registered
780 Posts
help

pick up a plat book at a local corn elevator it will show you who ownes what.then download google earth you will see what is on the property.sit down by the computer and start calling.i have picked up more than 10,000 acears of hunting ground within the last 6 months and about 5 hours of calling they will let you hunt just have to keep calling.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I check with our land owner every yr. to make sure its still OK if I hunt there . Just because you ask one time doesnt give you a lifetime benefits to hunt there property , do this every yr it wont take 10 min out of your time for a good place to hunt . We also have one deer processed and give it to the land owner , brats, summer sausage, meat stix , burger and seasoned roasts so it costs us about $150 to hung Prime big buck hunting land per yr , Thats really pretty cheap compared to what some of these guys lease that land for nowadays

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
All good responses

For ypou best chance at getting on some great properties, take a kid hunting with you! It's hard to turn down a kid. :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am a kid. hopefully this will work for me

·
Registered
118 Posts
See if they need any work done{yard work/ fence repair}summer stuff. As a land owner that goes a long way.:wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've always found the best way to get permisson is to walk right up and knock on the door. Introduce yourself, give your name,where you live, and what you do. Nice firm handshake, and than ask politely if you could by anychance hunt thier land. Some will say no, but more times than not I have had good results. I would also say more land owners allow bow hunting over gun hunting, at least in Iowa.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As stated before, face to face is the best way to ask. Don't wait until hunting season is almost here either, I'm not sure where you are from, but also, remember, if the guys you are asking are farmers, not to bother them during their really busy times of the year. Being a kid won't hurt either......

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
As all ready stated go in person ,dress neat ,even if they say no thank them for there time .Plus tell them bow hunt only ,A lot of the prop owners dont mind bow hunting .But the biggest thing is timeing dont go after season starts go in the spring or summer time you could also just start off offering to hunt ground hogs ,with your bow,offer to help out ,like post there prop,help with getting up hay or anything they need help with .
If you do get to hunt most of all respect the owners wishes,tell them you will only shoot the deer they want you to like does ,bucks.I hunt a couple tree farms and they dont care if you shoot does, but they want you to shoot any buck you get a shot at .Some farmers want you to shoot all the deer you can .Plus offer them a deer or some deer meat .
In the off season if you have ben fishing stop buy and offer them some .Bring a half bushell of apples or peaches anything.
This has worked for me in the past .I have a lot of farms that I hunt and I have hunted some of them for about 20 years now .Plus I pick up a new farm or two every year .
Another big plus ,dont over hunt a farm ,some dont like to see your truck there everyday .
Good luck

·
Registered
150 Posts
What about mailing a letter??

I am also looking to try and find some new/better land to hunt. What are your thoughts on mailing landowners? My thought is that it I don't want to show up and catch them in the middle of doing something and get blown off because they don't want to be bothered right then to talk. I figure a letter would allow me to say all that I wanted without feeling that I need to rush and allow them to read it and think about it when they want. Have any of you used this approach and what do you think of it??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts