Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about bows endlessly there are so many great bows on the market now. Kind of at a loss on what to do.
I tried several as well and know exactly what i want for me, BUT my priority is my son's bow, so please read and advise if you can.

Went to a few proshops during the Christmas break to let him try out several bows..

Everything he picked up he loved, which is not a surprise they are all huge upgrades to him. He tried he and liked a very wide range of Bows.

All of them were awesome bows, PSE Evolve 35 , Halon X, Medalist 38, Defiant 34, I don’t think any of them would be a bad choice, but I would love advice on what bows would work best for him based on the below stats:
16 years old
52 to 54 DW
26 DL

He will move this accessory to the new bow
Shibuya 365 Carbon Ultimate
Viper 1 3/4 with 2x and 4x Brian's Optics
Boodle Target rest
28 12 stab set.

The kid can shoot :
He can and has shot 300/300, but most the time in 286 to 292 range with his current bow.
His love is 3d and wins about 1/3 of shoots he enters, places almost every shoot. He shoots as Men's Adult Open (free style) class 3D unknown distance. He does not like to shoot in youth class, he like the challenge of the adult class.

Any bow we get would be a huge upgrade.

A new bow is our 1s priority from our income tax return.. So I have about a month to figure out what to buy him.

PS If you have never read about my kid he is very inspiring below is a link the NFAA story about him.

https://www.nfaausa.com/2016/06/an-archers-determination/

we are open to input what you think would work his DL and limited DW
thanks robert
aka GoofArcher

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
All other things being equal, if he is still growing, I would go with a bow with a rotating draw length module so he can tweak his draw length easily.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,587 Posts
As posted above go with a rotating mod bow. Either the Medalist or the Evolve 35 would make for a great bow for a teenager to grow and shoot competitively with.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Great article.. with his skill and determination I think you should buy him all four. Sorry I don't have much to imput. I guess if possible get him more time behind each bow and see if one rises to the top. Either way amazing kid.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Evolve 35 is a really good option because it can be adjusted to fit him. It is also very adjustable in valley and letoff to get that perfect feel. I would definitely check out a Realm X. Great adjustability in the ODB cams as well.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I have a Evolve 35 and it is a great bow, but at 26 he would be at the bottom of the cam, never shot one there. My wife is a 25" draw and she shoots an Xpedition 6 with the Sd cam made 280 fps at 25/44#, 33" ATA. I am very impressed with this bow. very easy to tune, great fit and finish, and the limb draw stop is very adjustable, adjusts with mods. I would try to figure out what ATA he likes. You could save some money of a used bow, the Hoyt Z5 cams are really nice, if you can find a Factor 34, or Nitrum 34, Spyder or Carbon Spyder. My wife had a 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo with a #1 cam (33" ATA,6" brace that made 280fps at 25/44#) The 26" draw would put him at the top af a #1 cam)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
well that certainly narrows it down LOL. I was just thinking to get more speed at 26" for unknown maybe stay closer to 33-34" ?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that certainly narrows it down LOL. I was just thinking to get more speed at 26" for unknown maybe stay closer to 33-34" ?
Yeap i agree , he has a very board taste.
I need to research which bows have good speed at 26 to 27 inches, i doubt he will grow much.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Elite synergy is a good choice. But the diamond medalist, and evolve 35 is an excellent choice. Look at the elite victory 37. Lots of high level shoots with those ones. Depends on what he likes though.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
He’s 16 so early high school

How tall is he compared to you ?

Does he have more growth in him ?

I ask because that info might help

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He’s 16 so early high school

How tall is he compared to you ?

Does he have more growth in him ?

I ask because that info might help
He is short next to me, males on my side are 6 2 to 6 11, The males in my wifes family were 5' 6" to 5 9
I would be shocked if he its 5 11 is about 5 5 now.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
He is short next to me, males on my side are 6 2 to 6 11, The males in my wifes family were 5' 6" to 5 9
I would be shocked if he its 5 11 is about 5 5 now.
So he’s probably not going to grow past the 30” DL ?

Evolve 35 is pretty awesome but there are more bows as well but for the size of the E35 it’s speed and silky smooth draw man it’s pretty good

Otherwise if there is $$$$$ a perform 3D is hot too

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If he is that dedicated to the sport and doing that well at the competitive level, getting a bow that will grow with him would not be my 1st priority. He could be involved in other sports that are a heck a lot more expensive than archery. Focus on getting a bow that fits him the best right now, not what may fit him 3 to 4 years down the road. If a bow is a poor performer at lower DL's, your son will be able to tell when he test shoots it. If a shop won't set the bow to your son's exact DL for a test shoot, then move on to another store.

Good Luck and maybe in 10 years we will all be wanting to buy what your son is shooting!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely get something that will grow with him, with the price of new bows it can get awfully expensive buying a new one every year or two.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he is that dedicated to the sport and doing that well at the competitive level, getting a bow that will grow with him would not be my 1st priority. He could be involved in other sports that are a heck a lot more expensive than archery. Focus on getting a bow that fits him the best right now, not what may fit him 3 to 4 years down the road. If a bow is a poor performer at lower DL's, your son will be able to tell when he test shoots it. If a shop won't set the bow to your son's exact DL for a test shoot, then move on to another store.

Good Luck and maybe in 10 years we will all be wanting to buy what your son is shooting!

He is very dedicated to the sport, he tried to shoot everyday, sometimes school work gets in the way of shooting haha but for the most part shoots everyday. He is super competitive, that is why he shoots as an adult vs youth if the 3D event allows, he loves to challenge and enjoys the extra yards

I would not expect him to exceed 28 to 28.5 draw ever.
I don't think I can afford a new bow each year, but some have module only changes that would not break the bank. (Halon X)
We may need to revisit a bow shop (Road Trip 4 to 6 hours each way) and try them again ( I just would like to have a short list to try, so ill keep reading your input)

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
If it is primarily a target bow that will do some hunting, I'd try to get him something that draws smooth so he doesn't wreck his shoulders at a young age. I'd also get something longer ATA with a rotating mod. The PSE Evolve 35 or Bowtech BT Mag or Boss in comfort setting. Elite E35 and V37/Victory X would be good options but require mods to change DL.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is primarily a target bow that will do some hunting, I'd try to get him something that draws smooth so he doesn't wreck his shoulders at a young age. I'd also get something longer ATA with a rotating mod. The PSE Evolve 35 or Bowtech BT Mag or Boss in comfort setting. Elite E35 and V37/Victory X would be good options but require mods to change DL.
Target bow,
he can keep his old bow for the hunt.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shot will be getting in a supra and evolve in next week or so ,
I think ill let him try the Halon X, and 2 pse side by side see which he likes

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have been reading about bows endlessly there are so many great bows on the market now. Kind of at a loss on what to do.
I tried several as well and know exactly what i want for me, BUT my priority is my son's bow, so please read and advise if you can.

Went to a few proshops during the Christmas break to let him try out several bows..

Everything he picked up he loved, which is not a surprise they are all huge upgrades to him. He tried he and liked a very wide range of Bows.

All of them were awesome bows, PSE Evolve 35 , Halon X, Medalist 38, Defiant 34, I don’t think any of them would be a bad choice, but I would love advice on what bows would work best for him based on the below stats:
16 years old
52 to 54 DW
26 DL

He will move this accessory to the new bow
Shibuya 365 Carbon Ultimate
Viper 1 3/4 with 2x and 4x Brian's Optics
Boodle Target rest
28 12 stab set.

The kid can shoot :
He can and has shot 300/300, but most the time in 286 to 292 range with his current bow.
His love is 3d and wins about 1/3 of shoots he enters, places almost every shoot. He shoots as Men's Adult Open (free style) class 3D unknown distance. He does not like to shoot in youth class, he like the challenge of the adult class.

Any bow we get would be a huge upgrade.

A new bow is our 1s priority from our income tax return.. So I have about a month to figure out what to buy him.

PS If you have never read about my kid he is very inspiring below is a link the NFAA story about him.

https://www.nfaausa.com/2016/06/an-archers-determination/

we are open to input what you think would work his DL and limited DW
thanks robert
aka GoofArcher
Sounds like he should shoot the new Phenom. In that 35" sweet spot and makes a great entry level target bow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts