Archery Talk Forum banner

How will you participate with in the articles section of this site?

• I'll read them

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • I'll write them

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I'd like to do both!

Votes: 18 43.9%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to get this ball rolling, so here is a simple poll.
Who'll read em? Who'll write em?

Moderation with this part of the site will be a little different than other forms of moderation. These articles will be voted on by the users of the site to their usefulness, helpfulness, fullness, or their general "good"-itude. If an article slips too low, it will be sent back to it's author for improvement. This way, hopefully, only articles that are helping people stay indefinately on AT.

NOTE: No articles will ever be deleted.

Articles are different than regular message board posts. They will have to meet a length requirement, and will not receive comments (two things very different than the message boards.) Also, they must be written as professionally as possible, as if to be published by a magainze. ;) We should up with some very good articles about the sport.

Please comment in this thread on general categories of articles you'd like to see. For instance, "Tuning," "Target Tips, "Hunting Tips," "Basics" ... this way, we have a general idea of what categories archers would find useful or interesting.

Good shooting

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I think this is a fantastic idea. I look forward to this type of info. from people I can trust here on AT. I beleive it will be an invaluable resource for many here.

Equipment, hunting tips, tuning tips, above average products, maybe even some hunting stories would all make great topics for this section.

·
Registered
365 Posts
don't get too hung up on the one author - one article idea - sometimes the best ideas come from a collaboration of approaches.

the reader's viewpoint also needs to be considered. some basic howto setup articles will make fantastic reading for newbies but more experienced AT'ers will show no interest. i'm kind of in the middle of the learning curve, still learning form and technique and eager to improve so i take it all in. some topics will not warrant a long article, such as how to wrap an arrow but then other topics such as how to make a string would require an exhaustive paper.

the library of articles has winner written all over it, i'm glad you're doing it and it's sure to make AT the best online archery resource.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So something like:

Beginner Tips
Intermediate Tips
Advanced Tips

?

Good idea.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
hello, Mike

I'm mostly interested in in anything related to target shooting!

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
I can write some hunting articles, I have been told that I have a knack for it. But I think all articles should be reviewed by the moderators before being posted.

·
Registered
365 Posts
miked said:
So something like:
Beginner Tips
Intermediate Tips
Advanced Tips
?
Good idea.

Mike - I'd like to see the articles referenced by discipline or area of interest and then possibly *difficulty rated*. that may be overdoing it a tad but it might help folks identify articles of interest. obviously name of author will need to be a searchable criteria.
i'd like to see articles on how to select a bow, establish draw length and desired draw weight range. articles on the setup of every piece of equipment on the bow as well as the various methods of bow tuning. articles on proper grip and all the elements of form. shooting drills, practice drills, target panic drills. arrow selection and broadhead tuning. fletching. discussion of bow maintenance and the various tools and how to use them. then you've also got to cover the whole spectrum of bows, recurve, traditional and compound. hunting opens up a whole new section.
some of this information already exists on AT - it's already been written or the basics of the articles exist - call it members musings. focus group the selected posts to make sure they have the necessary content and tone.
maybe start with the best of AT posts and supplement with written articles as they are done. it's a worthy project.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i'm guessing the fee will be one "get out of mutant forum" free pass (i already have one thank you).

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Also

Be sure to dig back in the archives. There are some very good articles (posts) by GRIV on bow balancing and back tenison. There was also a collection of posts by 60X Alaska on target panic that were fantastic. These could be put in the right form and added to the on line library of useful articles. There were also some really good ones posted by Jim Despart. Michael Braden had some good stuff on shot sequence.
Jbird

1 - 10 of 10 Posts