Archery Talk Forum banner

AT Quitters needing some incentive

2216 Views 35 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Skink
Hey Acherytalk manufactures and sponsors

I was wondering if any of you could offer a bunch of us smokers and chewers some incentive to quit this bad habit

I challenged the bow hunters to quit on Oct. 1st and I wasn't perpaired for the over whelming response I got.

now the deal is to quit for the hunting season and beyond, but the hunting season is our first goal.

do any one have any little things you can throw in to get more QUITTERS?

Here's who all signed up so far in 3 days

000 Hood
00 Hoyt Thompson
1 KOZMAN4907
2 shadowcat05
3 John 6
4 semobow, Being a quitter counts in this
5 Lonestar63
6 xibowhunter
7 Sandilands
8 cleankill
9 UCNYbowhunter
10 Kelly Johnson
11 mako shark
12 rdhunter
13 buckfever1969
14 ILLbucknut
15 JerseyGTI337
16 Drawenback
17 pierce652
18 Avalon
19 crutchracing
20 hockeymack17
21 r.connies
22 FoamHunter1974
23 JerseyGTI337
24 swampybuck
25 inmyelement
26 dc1003

Maybe just a decal to help remind us each time we get in our trucks and head out. A cap that we can wear out hunting reminding us to be a QUITTER and why we are wearing the cap.

I really can't believe how many people took me up! and My wife is gunna make sure I hold true and follow through with quitting.

here's the link to all quitters:wink:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=757747

hood
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea Hood! everyone like a reward for their hard work or sacrifices. Maybe we can get some "sponsers" for the contest.
Yeah, But it seems people are always looking for free things for nothing:cry:

I don't think this is nothing, after 31 years of smoking, this is gunna be one of the hardest things I have done in my life.

and I'm doing it more for my hunting then my life:confused: so why not have a little Hunting relative incentive to help remind us why we are wanting to quit.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
yeah I have quit before Iw as hard but do-able.

A few kick outs would be nice for those that achieve though. I am quitting with or with out a prize.

· Registered
7,294 Posts
i have to say i disagree with asking for or someone providing incentive to quit. it's not like the knowledge of how bad it is for ya is new. you made a conscious decision to try it and a conscious decision to continue. yeah, it's an addiction, but why does someone or something have to 'give' you incentive to stop doing something that is bad for ya? wouldnt 'dead' be an incentive enuff?

i'm not unsympathetic to anyone quitting snuff. i did copenhagen for 15yrs. it was a bear to quit. wasnt easy and had plenty of reason to fall off the wagon, but i didnt. failing/failed marriage, crappy job assignments...... ive been snuff free since july of 96.

what was my incentive? possible mouth and gum cancer.........and seeing my son grow up.

it irritates me to no end when smokers sue tobacco companies because of their own stupidity. it's been federal law since the early 70's to have the warning on the pack. if you arent smart enuff to pay attention to it and heed it, you shouldnt get any compensation. if you started smoking after 1975, your claims should be thrown out as soon as they're filed.

why is it only in america that stupid, self destructive behaviors performed with full knowledge of personal injury is rewarded? isnt the law of natural selection made to cull the weak and ailing from the gene pool?

there is a reason why stupid hurts......and its not to make anyone rich or provide personal gain.

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have to say i disagree with asking for or someone providing incentive to quit. it's not like the knowledge of how bad it is for ya is new. you made a conscious decision to try it and a conscious decision to continue. yeah, it's an addiction, but why does someone or something have to 'give' you incentive to stop doing something that is bad for ya? wouldnt 'dead' be an incentive enuff?

i'm not unsympathetic to anyone quitting snuff. i did copenhagen for 15yrs. it was a bear to quit. wasnt easy and had plenty of reason to fall off the wagon, but i didnt. failing/failed marriage, crappy job assignments...... ive been snuff free since july of 96.

what was my incentive? possible mouth and gum cancer.........and seeing my son grow up.

it irritates me to no end when smokers sue tobacco companies because of their own stupidity. it's been federal law since the early 70's to have the warning on the pack. if you arent smart enuff to pay attention to it and heed it, you shouldnt get any compensation. if you started smoking after 1975, your claims should be thrown out as soon as they're filed.

why is it only in america that stupid, self destructive behaviors performed with full knowledge of personal injury is rewarded? isnt the law of natural selection made to cull the weak and ailing from the gene pool?

there is a reason why stupid hurts......and its not to make anyone rich or provide personal gain.

Because it's nice to know you have people behind you and supporting what you are doing.

when we quit our bad habit, just think of all the extra money we'll have to spend and we'll be more appt to spend it with company that showed a little incentive and cared. We are archers that are gunna be trying to quit a addition that has taken up most of our lifes.

Hey Rock Money, thanks for speaking your mind, but I didn't need it.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Little rough ain't ya rock monkey??

People aren't stupid. They know smoking, dipping, chewing is unhealthy.
They also realize the end result could be a premature departure from this earth.

I think The Hood is just trying to rally the troops into doing something that can change their lives for the better, and throwing a little incentive in there to keep their minds occupied is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

I for one appreciate his efforts.

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still can't believe how easy it was to get these guys onboard

1 KOZMAN4907
2 shadowcat05
3 John 6
5 Lonestar63
6 xibowhunter
7 Sandilands
8 cleankill
9 UCNYbowhunter
10 Kelly Johnson
11 mako shark
12 rdhunter
13 buckfever1969
14 ILLbucknut
15 JerseyGTI337
16 Drawenback
17 pierce652
18 Avalon
19 crutchracing
20 hockeymack17
21 r.connies
22 FoamHunter1974
23 JerseyGTI337
24 swampybuck
25 inmyelement
26 dc1003
27 Wirtbowhunter
28 Hood
29 Hoyt Thompson

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Yeah Rock Monkey you quit and so have I. Sitting there and say you are sympathetic and calling them stupid in the same dialog is about as hypocritical as it gets.

I know what I have to look forward too, This will not be the first time I have quit. The last time I quit I had incentive to quit and a reward set by my wife that I gladly accepted. Did I need the reward or Prize?...NO. She understood that it is hard to kick an ADDICTION and HABIT at the SAME TIME and felt it was a boost to help me along. It was done out of the kindness of her heart.

This is not an easy task at hand and requires some will power.

Also there are many threads on here where the smokers have been called "names" or told that they would die and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Do you think that it helps for someone to be condescending to another trying to make a change? Kick an addiction, eliminate a habit, and continue to do normal daily activities?

I understand you may have quit under bad circumstances but others may need a little encouragement to do so and everything you just said in your post was as demeaning as it gets.

Please if you cannot be supportive, excuse yourself.

· Registered
3,350 Posts
Ok I am not a sponser but I will sweeten the pot!

Everyone that has quit smoking and has to continued to be smoke free for 75 Days from OCT 1ST. I will put there names in a hat and send them a copy of my InSpec Hoyt Tuning DVD.
This will make the final date Sunday December 14th. I will collect names via PM on the 15th and select one to be shipped that week.

I know it is not a lot and will not help everyone but it is a start.

Now go and quit archers....GO AND QUIT!

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Heck a company could send me a sticker and I would be happy.But then again since we quit smoking buts maybe a few Butt out tools could be a prize.Yea the pun was intended.

· Registered
1,908 Posts
Healthy Hunters

We think it's a great idea :clap:

We make this offer to all of those on Hoods list in the beginning of this challenge. The names of everyone who have successfully completed this challenge through hunting season will be placed in a hat or random generator, one name will be drawn, to the winner goes their choice of an S.O.S stabilizer or C.T.A string suppressor.

We will take you for your word.....remember, your character follows you through life.

The best of luck to everyone.:thumbs_up

Attachments

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We think it's a great idea :clap:

We make this offer to all of those on Hoods list in the beginning of this challenge. The names of everyone who have successfully completed this challenge through hunting season will be placed in a hat or random generator, one name will be drawn, to the winner goes their choice of an S.O.S stabilizer or C.T.A string suppressor.

We will take you for your word.....remember, your character follows you through life.

The best of luck to everyone.:thumbs_up
WELL THANK YOU!!!!! This is some REAL INCENTIVE I will pass on to all the Quitters

and I know Bowhunters are good people with true character that we can trust. Beside I may call there wives:wink:

We make this offer to all of those on Hoods list in the beginning of this challenge
That would be Oct 1st,,,Right? everyone in on that date.

Thanks again
hood

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I am not a sponser but I will sweeten the pot!

Everyone that has quit smoking and has to continued to be smoke free for 75 Days from OCT 1ST. I will put there names in a hat and send them a copy of my InSpec Hoyt Tuning DVD.
This will make the final date Sunday December 14th. I will collect names via PM on the 15th and select one to be shipped that week.

I know it is not a lot and will not help everyone but it is a start.

Now go and quit archers....GO AND QUIT!
Mr. Thompson, Thank you for getting this Incentive started!

Hood

· Registered
1,908 Posts
WELL THANK YOU!!!!! This is some REAL INCENTIVE I will pass on to all the Quitters

and I know Bowhunters are good people with true character that we can trust. Beside I may call there wives:wink:

That would be Oct 1st,,,Right? everyone in on that date.

Thanks again
hood

Yes, anyone on the list on or before Oct 1st will be eligible for the drawing.

Thanks, Joe

· Registered
3,527 Posts
I want to be the First Quitter besides Hood to say thank you for your generosity towards this Quitting smoking contest.SO..... Thank you Mr Thompson and Thank you Joe

· Registered
22 Posts
If at all possible I would like to join the quitters pack!!

12 years chewing skoal, and redman (not at the same time)

I have tried to quit several times, even tried medicine. I think that having a group of guys that are trying to quit their habits will make it easier. Each time I have tried to quit I have had support from my wife, but that doesn't help when all my friends still chew. Peer Pressure sucks!! and I cave when hanging out with the guys.

Thanks for anyone that supports this effort, and thanks to all the sponsors if they are willing to throw in incentive!!

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If at all possible I would like to join the quitters pack!!

12 years chewing skoal, and redman (not at the same time)

I have tried to quit several times, even tried medicine. I think that having a group of guys that are trying to quit their habits will make it easier. Each time I have tried to quit I have had support from my wife, but that doesn't help when all my friends still chew. Peer Pressure sucks!! and I cave when hanging out with the guys.

Thanks for anyone that supports this effort, and thanks to all the sponsors if they are willing to throw in incentive!!
You're in, but you need to go over to the hunting section and sign in on the smoking contest post so I can click and paste:wink:

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is getting really big
000 Hood
00 Hoyt Thompson
1 KOZMAN4907
2 shadowcat05
3 John 6
5 Lonestar63
6 xibowhunter
7 Sandilands
8 cleankill
9 UCNYbowhunter
10 Kelly Johnson
11 mako shark
12 rdhunter
13 buckfever1969
14 ILLbucknut
15 JerseyGTI337
16 Drawenback
17 pierce652
18 Avalon
19 crutchracing
20 hockeymack17
21 r.connies
22 FoamHunter1974
23 JerseyGTI337
24 swampybuck
25 inmyelement
26 dc1003
27 Wirtbowhunter
28 ally cat
29 markly99
30 Whack & Stack
31 jmattp2005
32 Fishawk
33 bow duke ny
34 PSEloyal
35 SANDBAGGER

· Registered
2,197 Posts
WOW!!! first time i read this thread.
@ theHood: :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up my absolutly respect 4 this initation

@paradigm: :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up also respect 4 your support

I hope i will be also so strong to stop smoking:alien:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.