Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine has taken up bowhunting and is not much of a practicer. he asked me the other day if he is ready to hunt this spring on bears. he is grouping about 5inch at 20yds. i told him to keep practicing.

so at what point is it ok to tackle game... i was figuring for a 20/30yd shot a 2inch group would suffice.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
I would tell him to keep practicing, is he doing this with broadheads or just field points? I would agree with the 2-3"

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
There really isn't a point where across the board where someone is ready to hunt at a given distance.

I would say that an inch per 10 yds of distance is a pretty good rule of thumb though. That would 2" at 20 yds and 3" at 30 etc. Make sure he's shooting under ideal conditions when deciding though! A cross wind can mess anyone up really bad!

·
Registered
822 Posts
if he's doing this with broadheads and is getting 5' groups everytime, i think he's ready to go hunting. just tell to keep practicing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i should of stated its with field points...not broadheads.

and for me five inches is just too much at 20yards.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
yeah, i should of stated its with field points...not broadheads.

and for me five inches is just too much at 20yards.
I would agree with you and with the 1" every 10 yards statement, now he should deffinately be trying the broadheads, unless he wants to screw them on and get out there without trying:wink: we all know someone like that:zip:

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Tell him he needs to have those arrows touching each other at 20 yds. See how he responds to that, will it encourage him to practice more yep! I think so.

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Also depends on what kind of practicer he is, when I'm just out shooting spots my groups widen due to lack of interest (I just get bored?). How does he do on 3D's and so on. Even on bales if I'm shooting pictures I do way better than if I'm hitting dots. I do practice spots for 20-30 shots before each round and when at hunting camp just for checking sights. But thats just me.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I guess I'll be the first to say it. All of you 1" per 10yrd guys, that means you all shoot 300's every time you shot a 5spot. You actually shoot a 300 every time at 30yrds then too since the 5-ring is larger than 3"... Come on, be realistic. If he can group 5" at 20yrds, he can kill a bear at 20yrds. I don't recommend shooting further than your ability though.

I've seen guys that can't punch paper for squat, yet they execute without flaw when it comes to killing. And likewise, I've seen guys robinhood at 50yrds and can't hit a barn under the stress of a live animal. Everyone has different abilities. Only you and he know how he might do under stress. That's the key IMO.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I guess I'll be the first to say it. All of you 1" per 10yrd guys, that means you all shoot 300's every time you shot a 5spot. You actually shoot a 300 every time at 30yrds then too since the 5-ring is larger than 3"... Come on, be realistic. If he can group 5" at 20yrds, he can kill a bear at 20yrds. I don't recommend shooting further than your ability though.

I've seen guys that can't punch paper for squat, yet they execute without flaw when it comes to killing. And likewise, I've seen guys robinhood at 50yrds and can't hit a barn under the stress of a live animal. Everyone has different abilities. Only you and he know how he might do under stress. That's the key IMO.
+1

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I would rather strive for the 1" per 10 yards than settle for 5" at 20 and call it good. More practice for me. JMO

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would rather strive for the 1" per 10 yards than settle for 5" at 20 and call it good. More practice for me. JMO
And I agree. But I think the standards that are set on this site may scare and intimidate many people. We all know that a successful shot in the field is based 90% upon confidence. If the guy expects failure from what he's being told here, he will likely fail. If he's confident that his 5" 20yrd group will kill a bear, it very likely will for him. That 5" group doesn't leave much room for error, but it is a very makeable shot. I am just trying to stress that the reality is most hunters that kill big animals every year don't have the level of proficiency demanded from ATer's.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
And I agree. But I think the standards that are set on this site may scare and intimidate many people. We all know that a successful shot in the field is based 90% upon confidence. If the guy expects failure from what he's being told here, he will likely fail. If he's confident that his 5" 20yrd group will kill a bear, it very likely will for him. That 5" group doesn't leave much room for error, but it is a very makeable shot. I am just trying to stress that the reality is most hunters that kill big animals every year don't have the level of proficiency demanded from ATer's.
I don't.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It sounds to me like your friend really needs help with his shooting form. At 5'' at 20 yards sounds like he is in need of a shooting coach or a friend that knows what to do. Probably punching the trigger, struggling with a consistant nocking point, and relaesing the pin as it goes by the target. Direct him to archery talk, lots of help here!!:user:

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
There really isn't a point where across the board where someone is ready to hunt at a given distance.

I would say that an inch per 10 yds of distance is a pretty good rule of thumb though. That would 2" at 20 yds and 3" at 30 etc. Make sure he's shooting under ideal conditions when deciding though! A cross wind can mess anyone up really bad!
You sure about that???
It seems us panhandle boys shoot pretty good iin a crosswind.....1st and 2nd place if I remember right.:wink:

I think your friend needs to put on some broadheads and feel a little more pressure, some people will get serious when they know it will count and can surprise you with accuracy. With that said, a 5" group is in the kill zone. Limit shots to 20 yards or less and go hunting. That 5" group needs to contain all "fliers" too, but that is good enough to hunt. I would rather take someone who shoots 5" groups all day long than someone who shoots 3" groups with 1 out of 5 shots being a flier that is 10" out!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I for one will, or cannot define for anyone what is "ready-to hunt" accuracy. As previously stated - there are folks who can absolutely destroy the center of a target at various distances, but yet put them in a tree stand, blind, or situation where live game is involved, and they totally blow the shot. Now granted this isn't reflective of everyone, nor am I grouping all target/hunters into such a group. I mainly hunt whitetails, and have taken enough of them that I have lost count hunting them over 31 years. I do not remember every situation to exacting events, but can say that as I reflect on things-every animal presented very different scenarios. For me I hunt with both compound, and recurve bow-putting in as many hours as I can in my back yard shooting. There are times I can drill the target being repetative, and accurate, and still other times I seem to have form issues. In the woods I have, and will admitt that I have made great shots where everything was like clock work, and it was almost what I would say was text book. Then there were times that I totally blew the shot. I would be in total disbelief as I had practiced until things were second nature--or so I thought. I would tell anyone--practice-practice-practice. For me even after practicing until things seem to be second nature--I have still blown shots that I am glad nobody was watching because for me the only thing wounded badly after those blown shots was my ego--to the point it somtimes still haunts me. Accuracy at the point as described above-1" for every 10 yards--thats great, but I know guys who shoot 6" groups regularly at 20-40 yards, and that for them is great, and I have watched them take game with well made shots. Shooting at live game is a VERY different scenario all together than drilling targets. Granted its the way we all practice, but many times over I have had game approach, and enter into my stand set up area in a manner that was TOTALLY different, and unexpected. I had sat in my stand, and mentally prepared myself for specific situations, and scenarios only to have things go TOTALLY opposite than I thought. Each individual must define what in their own heart, and mind is acceptable. We must be able to admitt to ourselves when we are not as efficient, and accurate as we may desire. I am NOT saying that a person who sprays arrows in large hap-hazard mess should be going to the woods in an effort to take game leaving animals wounded instead of tagged, and headed for the freezer, but many folks I know would say that if they had to put an EXACT number as far as a diameter at lets say 20-40 yards they would say 6" is good. Then other guys I also know like to have groups where unless they are destroying arrows from hitting each other as they drill them into a target tell themselves anything less isn't so good. For me I will not define "ready-to-hunt" like some. There are MANY variables that come into play at the moment of truth. Even the very best of shooter can blow things from time to time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I for one will, or cannot define for anyone what is "ready-to hunt" accuracy. As previously stated - there are folks who can absolutely destroy the center of a target at various distances, but yet put them in a tree stand, blind, or situation where live game is involved, and they totally blow the shot.
thats where i think more practice is needed...if you can spray all over the place at an indoor range at twenty yards, how well can you do when the fever hits?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

1 - 20 of 46 Posts