Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious because it's been super cold for a few days this past week.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
well..if you ever surf the net, theres guys who shoot deer well below -32degeees. I'd assume the deer are doing well at that point:confused:

There was a post on here today of someone shooting a nice 8 in -25 degrees with a wind chill

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Think about it they live all the way up into western Canada. Which is the reason northern whitetails are bigger IE to deal with the cold..Randy

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
As long as they have ample amounts of the right types of food, they'll be alright in the cold. Deep snow covering food sources is a major problem though. I say "right types of food", because last winter we had many many deer die with bellies full of corn (thousands of acres went unharvested until spring). Deep snow coupled with brutal temps did a number on our deer herd last winter. It's absolutley bitterly cold here right now (-24 below tonight, actual air temps), but we only have a couple of inches of snow, as long as we don't get a ton of snow, or a winter that lasts until the end of April (like last year), the deer will be OK.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,310 Posts
They can take the cold. They're designed for it. The problem arises here when cold temps, -40 or colder (I've seen -60) combine with heavy snow. That's when they start stressing and dying off. Throw in thousands of wolves designed to travel well in the deep snow and you've really got something to talk about...

Winter kills LOTS of deer in Minnesota.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I live in edmonton Alberta canada on saturday we recorded a daytime high of -41c. Personaly I wouldnt want to be living out there but the deer dont seem to mind

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's the combination of snow and cold

With extremely cold weather and little food available they can't produce enough heat to stay warm. In my part of the country (NE WA and N ID) we actually lose a lot of deer in the spring following a bad winter. They live through the winter but enter spring in really bad shape and don't make it.
We've had record snowfall here the last two years and lots of winterkill as a result. The temperatures weren't really that bad. It was the 90+ inchers of snow that got em. Lots of unfilled tags this year in my archery club and lots of winter killed deer skeletons in the woods.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Cold Cold weather means they need that much more food, it they don't have the necessary food supply, they die. So it all depends on where the deer are living, what the food sources are like, how much snow there is and exactly how cold it is. Also deep snow and cold means deer get weaker, that means deer have more trouble getting through the snow and it means they have to search for food more often, that means wolves/coyotes/bears can kill deer more easily. So the populations of predators would be another variable. Then of course when animals get weaker their immune systems suffers, so they can become more susceptible to diseases and sicknesses. These are all major reasons why thou shall not feed the deer up in Canada, as the deer need to know how to take care of themselves when the snow hits the ground and the cold comes out of nowhere. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think the deer around here have to worry about losing out on food. The entire area I hunt is beans and corn for miles and miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
MAMMALIA speaking, can't happen with just cold...lack of food,water and or shelter but I'm not sure cold itself, at least not in most of North America...I always thought that their hair not only is hollow but it also has a vaccum through which heat/cold can't transfer..that's why you see snow building up over their bodies...and them living in the deserts of the southwest.. I don't think that heat or cold could do one in by itself.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Like others have said....I don't think it the cold that kills them. It's the lack of available food and water.

That's why I spent part of my weekend clearing my foodplot of snow!! It now looks like a cattle lot!!! They happy deers!!:wink:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It isn't too big of a deal until it is super cold and there is lots of snow. That combination can be lethal. Out here in Gunnison, CO the DOW had to feed the deer a couple winters ago. I think they have only had to do that a couple times in their history. It was super cold for several weeks strait and there was feet upon feet of snow. A lot of deer died in that area that year.

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
Deer don't really die from the cold. They die from accumulative affects of long harsh winters.

a couple of things I read was cold alone don't really harm deer. In fact, they found that instead of becoming more active to find food, deer actually bed down and go into a semi-suspended animation where they don't move hardly at all and burn very little energy. This was EXTREME cold...

Biologically this would make a lot of sense...if its a harsh winter, and food is at a premium, it makes more sense to not expend energy trying to get to a food source that would more than likely not replace the calories they spent getting to it? It made sense to me.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
man it supposed to be in the low 20's in the morning. after reading this thread i will quit whining about it. -25 how in the hell do yall do it?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
man it supposed to be in the low 20's in the morning. after reading this thread i will quit whining about it. -25 how in the hell do yall do it?
It's some of the very best hunting to be had and that is enough to warm anyone up...:wink: The colder the better................

·
Registered
15,526 Posts
It's some of the very best hunting to be had and that is enough to warm anyone up...:wink: The colder the better................
yep was out Tuesday and Wednesday nights...Highs in the single digits...
Deer would come out to feed like clockwork!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts