Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60?? For shots around my stands a shot over 30 yards isnt probable so I stick to 30, but feel I could take a 40 yard shot if deemed neccessary. How bout you guys??

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
20yds, it's what I can do in my yard without having to go out front and stand in the bed of a truck, which I figure if I do too much somebody will turn me in.

But I do go out to a friends where I can shoot as far as I want. There I stay at 30 and 40 mostly since I can do 20 at home.
Once I get a bigger sight I will start doing 50 and 60 again.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
It all depends on the season. In the winter it's 20 yards because thats most of my competitions. In the spring I will setup my 3D/Field bow and I spend almost equal time at distances from 20 feet all the way out to 80 yards.

For hunting I am a firm believer in shooting 20 yards beyond your self-imposed hunting limit. I shoot my broadheads out to 80 yards and I enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
No more than 30!!!!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
can hold tight groups, makes 20 yards seem like spitting distance

long enough for wind to affect, so I can tell if I have enough helical

pins are too big to regularly practice farther. Waiting for .019s to come.

Easier to tell when I get tired, because groups fall apart.

·
Registered
577 Posts
In any given practice session....
5% @ 50 yards
20% @ 40
50% @ 30
10% @ 25
10% @ 20
5% @ 15 / 10 yards

While I only plan to take 20 yard shots or less at deer, the practicing at longer ranges does a couple things for me. (1) Makes me confident that I could take a longer shoot if presented (doubtful though in Wis woods), and (2) most importantly, makes 20 yard shoots very boring (easy) - which is exactly what I want.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I usually shoot one group at 20 and 30 to make sure they are sighted in still, then all of my practice occurs at 40 and 50 yards. It makes the average 25-30 yard shot in 3D seem like a chip shot and forces me to hold steadier.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I never have made a shot over 30 yards and probably wouldn't because I respect the animal and want to make as humane of a kill as I can.

But, I am more of a target shooter than a hunter. I consider the hunting season the slow time of year for my archery hobby. I routinely shoot 50 and 60 yards. If I am practice for FITA shoots, I will do quite a bit of shooting at 90 meters or 99 yards.

I will also be doing quite a bit of indoor target shooting at 20 yards and 18 meters.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
25 and 35.Thats all

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
30 most often

Don't shoot 20 a whole lot - find I sometime start getting sloppy with my hunting gear as it's too easy (different story if I'm indoors trying to shoot X's).

I also shoot 40 yds. quite a bit and some at 50 yds. I actually like shooting at 50 yds. the best as I really have to focus on my form and a clean release. Sometimes my groups at 50 are as tight as 20-30 yds. groups as my concentration level seems to be higher. Shouldn't be the case...I should have that same high level of concentration on every shot but it just doesn't seem to work out that way on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
676 Posts
most of my practice is at 60 to make the closer shots seem easy. hunting shots i limit to 40yrd max for elk and 35 for deer. longer range practice gives me confidence to make a follow up shot at longer distance if need be. so far i havent needed to but i know one day it could happen.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
I shoot alll of them becouse you just never know what will happen in the woods.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts