Archery Talk Forum banner

Is Speed testign with Unfletched arrows Unethical?

• Yes it unethical, cheating & misleading

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • No Its Ok to bend the rules

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently there was a article ina Bow Magazine that sid Bow maker
often test with an unfletched arrows to gain more speed

To me this is Unethical
IMHO

The Old AMO(Now called ATA) Specs for a AMO Speed
was an ARROW ( not an unfletched shaft) 540 grains ,
30" long
with a 125 grain head attached,
3 - 5" inch feathers
nock

( they used to use 2117's)

This was voted on years ago by AMO as the average 2117 hunting arrow the average bowhunter would shoot and hunt with.

The AMO Bow Speed was widly accepted and sued by many to slect and buy bows

Sort of truth in Advertising

Now they are doing IBO Speed Tests with a 350 grain arrows 30 @ 70# draw/pull with NO FLETCHING!!!!!!!

An arrow has fletching

An unfleched arrow is a bare shaft

An unfletched arrow in not an arrow per se

To me this " slight- of- hand" is unethical and dishonest

What do you think?

Tink

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
almost as bad as what I used to see alot of a few years ago-the bow would have an advertised IBO Speed (which we could duplicate at the shop by cutting off most of the center serving etc) but the warranty would be voided if you shot below the AMO recommended arrow weight (which for IBO 30" etc was well over 5 grains a pound)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
A 350 grain arrow is a 350 grain arrow. Unless the chrongraph is more than a few feet from the bow, it won't make a difference whether the arrow has fletching or not. The fletching won't cause the arrow to slow down in 3 or 4 feet of distance.

D

·
0 Posts
PRUITT'S Correct...

Jim Pruitte said:
A 350 grain arrow is a 350 grain arrow. Unless the chrongraph is more than a few feet from the bow, it won't make a difference whether the arrow has fletching or not. The fletching won't cause the arrow to slow down in 3 or 4 feet of distance.
...I wonder what the "income" is for the ATA in a yeere's time???...and what do they do with it to "promote" trade in the archery community???...or do they???...

...just like everything else in life...the ONLY thing that is constant...

...IS CHANGE...

...if "consistency" is sought...shouldn't the "chrono's" be of the "mandatory" variety in the shops, ranges and tournaments??...

...EL-ROY...what's the name of that GOOD chrono??...

>>>---D2--->;)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Un flethched arrows shoot faster

In my own limited testign unfletched shafts did shoot faster

The magazine article Said they used unfletched arrows to gain more speed.....................

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have read (don't know this for a fact) that large vanes, particularly the softer ones, will wrinkle during launch. If they do, it would cause a lot more drag. If nothing else, just the fact that they wrikle would take away some finite mount of energy from the arrow.

It makes sense that a bare shaft would have a higher initial velocity, since no energy is bled off during launch. I bet they use a pretty stiff shaft too, for the same reason - less energy goes into bending.

I personally would like to see them publish the amount of stored energy in the bow at full draw. You can't screw with that number by doing "arrow tricks."

Scott

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Not that it really matters.... but

We shoot fletched arrows through the chrono to get our catalog list speeds.

All of our bows are shot @ 30" and 70# with a 350 grain arrow.

Yes, this is not AMO speed; it is IBO speed. We feel that it gives you a better idea of peak performance in a specific bow model. Your Martin bow is also warrantied to 5 gr per pound.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
GRIV-I don't believe it was Martin who pulled that warranty nonsense. several years ago, we took every speed bow in the shop and shot a few arrows through them. The Martin Fury was one of the few that lived up to billing (I think the PSE G force or baby G did too). I can't remember which brands bragged about the IBO speeds but also said that would violate the warranty:rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's a difference

Un-fletched shafts, for certain, will shoot faster than fletched. I've shot many arrows through my Oehler Model 35P chrono and there can be no doubt the fletched arrow, weighing exactly the same as the bare shaft (using small weight washers as needed) is slower. The type fletching, length and profile will also make a difference even on the same weight arrows. Hey, I'm in Suriname and have little else to do but stuff like this...sounds boring just writing about it.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks it show the SAME results

Martin has always been on the Up and up IMHO
Martin Archery has a Very Strong ethic in everything it does

When I asked Damon Howatt to make me an 85# elephant bow in 1966 he made it and I was lucky when It arrived 91#

Its was 62: Howatt Hunter with a Satin Finish and Personal Inscript "Elephant Bow made for Tink Nathan"

has Roswood and Green glass on both sides made to the shape of my hand drawing which they kept on file for all my custom bows.

I used it to take two African elephants in Mozambique, Port East Africa in 1966

Great Bow
Still have it and my First Two Howatt Hunters & Hi Speeds

IMHO
Tink

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
you got pics of those africanbowhunter? would be cool to see. easton94

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BOWs are in Storage

H 94 Mos of my Historial stuff is in deep storage When i got rid of my Virginia horse farmin 2001 I put my treauresand hosue hold good in Deep storage till I settle down and find the right lady

You might havea wait a while

Thanks Sir

TINK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts