Archery Talk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have plenty more of those crappy tricks up my sleeves....
Your missing the point completely. When someone has a brand new bow that does not perform what should they do:

Option 1: modify the bow and invalidate warranty
Option 2: send it back to the dealer

Any advice other than 2 is erroneous.

Talking to someone about their problems is about helping them find a path out of the problem, not an opportunity for you to show how much **** you know/how clever you are. Yup your advice would’ve been good if the riser was 3 years old bought off eBay.

Have a nice life being terribly clever and drastically unhelpful.

Stretch

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
........does this mean you're not going to try some of those ideas? You only live once.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
...... not an opportunity for you to show how much **** you know/how clever you are. Yup your advice would’ve been good if the riser was 3 years old.....
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We used beer cans but hey, we’re Scottish :beer::tongue:

However, I’ve seen an issue with SF limbs in a Hoyt Horizon riser where the limb butt is so deep there is no available adjustment for tiller/weight. The butt wedges from the dovetail and does not move with the adjuster.

Stretch
Alchool forbidden in archery, so Cole only !!:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:!!

The most stupid thing in archery is the absence of real published standards, even for the most simple, common parts. The bows reach a kind of standard just copying and interpretating previously existing solutions, but no one cares if something is "slightly" different.
For instance, the plugers have reached in years a practical standard were outside is 5/16-24, so the holes in rises are tapped same, and the inner pin is 4.2 mm in diameter. At tha beginning, the ouside was M8 or 5/16, but "market" went to 5/16.
Inner pin had different sizes, but now you have it at 4.2 mm and pins are interchangeable between Beiter, Cartel, Delpa, Best and many other plungers .... withour anyone stating that 4.2 had to be the diameter. But what about making a pin 4.1 as maller hole in the plunger? Or making M10 plungers and risers with corrspondant holes? Or finally defining what should be the minimum distance between the 2 plunger holes ? Everything tends to converge to the "standard" sizes, for easier sales, but simply those standard do not exist and can change any moment ...
P.S. by Bernardini risers had 2 x M5 tapped holes for sight, we were selling them with 2 x M5 screws to help customers, no one complained, never ...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So any OP, we gave W&W a call an hour ago and they’ve stated that as long as the main body of the riser is not damaged, any modifications to the T-block (as long as it doesn’t alter the main riser body in any manner) does not void the warranty.

·
Is that a cookie?
4,982 Posts
^
Nice to know I suppose, but it would have been more useful to know about the acceptable tolerances for that piece and whether they would send the OP replacements.

·
Registered
284 Posts
P.S. by Bernardini risers had 2 x M5 tapped holes for sight, we were selling them with 2 x M5 screws to help customers, no one complained, never ...
This was why I got my first Luxor for a bargain: the previous owner had used standard thread screws to mount his sight :mg: He'd got them in, but taking them out with a hand drill made quite a mess, and one got stuck.

Luckily Sid at Border was able to drill out some new holes and glue some arrow inserts in. Necessity is the mother of invention :) Worked perfectly, and the person I sold the riser on to a few years later didn't have any problems either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
^
Nice to know I suppose, but it would have been more useful to know about the acceptable tolerances for that piece and whether they would send the OP replacements.
Indeed, If theminoritydude has already a wire to W&W it would be great to know how they handle tolerances in their risers and if this is something to expect ;-)

I wrote an email to W&W with some pictures and a few videos on Saturday. I got a reply on Sunday asking for a contact address / phone number and where I bought the riser.
They said they will look through the footage and getting back to me shortly.
My local dealer (he's sharing my opinion) has also reached out to the distributor for AT/EU and is also waiting for any reply.

I'll keep you updated (if there's any interest..)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just to cheer everyone up with some laghter about ILF fitment. If feel sorry for shops trying to push products that's all over the place :D

Keep up those bloopers Steven.

Magic starts at 5:00 and the struggle continues for 10min :D

Action starts at 0:40 and the struggle starts.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Question: How do you know I actually called W&W? What if I was the guy Alfred was describing to Bruce Wayne?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The most stupid thing in archery is the absence of real published standards, even for the most simple, common parts.
Yup, there are a few people who give it a close run though.

Many manufacturers don’t supply enough specification info with their risers. Even the simple size of screw using in a sight block. Drives me nuts that bow makers don’t supply a set of 10-24 in the holes (where 10-24 is the right thread of course!) The spec sheet shipped with the riser should explicitly state all thread sizes, Allen key sizes etc.

Stretch

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just to cheer everyone up with some laghter about ILF fitment. If feel sorry for shops trying to push products that's all over the place :D

Keep up those bloopers Steven.

Magic starts at 5:00 and the struggle continues for 10min :D
Steve’s great - you will definitely get an honest review, “Does it do your head in? It does my head in” and “some limbs fit, some limbs don’t”. Classic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll keep you updated (if there's any interest..)
Of course, we are curious to hear from them,
also because some of the greatest archers are shooting this riser (Ryoo Su Jung, Lee Woo Seok).

For infos I checked some gear today :
- AXT + Wiawis One : nothing,
- AXT + NS : nothing,
- Radian + Wiawis One : nothing,
- Radian + NS : very few rotation on Y axis.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yup, there are a few people who give it a close run though.

Many manufacturers don’t supply enough specification info with their risers. Even the simple size of screw using in a sight block. Drives me nuts that bow makers don’t supply a set of 10-24 in the holes (where 10-24 is the right thread of course!) The spec sheet shipped with the riser should explicitly state all thread sizes, Allen key sizes etc.

Stretch
Stretch, the reason NOT to supply the screws for the sight with the riser is that also the sight mounting blocks don't have any standard as far as their heigh is concerned.... so what lenght of screws? I went to explore this, and made a kit availble to customers as spare part, but I had to include 2 x 4 different lenghts of 10-24 screws in it, and I'm pretty sure that they don't cover 100% of mounting blocks existing ...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Question: How do you know I actually called W&W? What if I was the guy Alfred was describing to Bruce Wayne?
Are we now on "don't feed the troll"?!

Of course, we are curious to hear from them,
also because some of the greatest archers are shooting this riser (Ryoo Su Jung, Lee Woo Seok).

For infos I checked some gear today :
- AXT + Wiawis One : nothing,
- AXT + NS : nothing,
- Radian + Wiawis One : nothing,
- Radian + NS : very few rotation on Y axis.
I'm assuming those pros don't get their risers shipped off the shelf ;-)

But thanks for checking your stuff, very interesting, indeed!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Stretch, the reason NOT to supply the screws for the sight with the riser is that also the sight mounting blocks don't have any standard as far as their heigh is concerned...
But, the same length screws will give a satisfactory mount on Shibuya, Axcel, Arten, Spigarelli, AGF and many others. It also proves that your screw threads are clean and usable. As a buyer if you have a Halstein or Toxonics that need longer then at least you know “how much longer” (and hopefully you know what thread you are asking for because the manufacturer put it in the manual).

Sorry, I don’t agree that “they won’t fit all” is a good reason for not supplying $0.50 set of screws with a $900 riser. Especially when one set can fit 99%.

There’s another standard for your list :confused:

Stretch

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Stretch, the makers of sights know perectly that a problem exists, and they are supplying screws of the right lenght already with their the sights. No problem to adds sight screws to the riser, from the cost point of view, but I can only imagine how many will write us saying that screws provided are WRONG in lenght ... After a week were I have had people wanting to return a riser because "riser tiller was wrong", another mentioing that limbs were loose in the riser so they both risers and limbs were wrong , and other countless sometime absurd questions and claims, what I really don't want is to start a lot of debates about lenght of the screws for the "x" or "y" sight bocks...

61 - 80 of 124 Posts