Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shot both??? Just would like some input, there is not an athens dealer anywhere near me, looking at possibly getting one. They look like they are a really nice setup.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I shot the Captain and Sentinel from BT last year. And now shoot the Athens Accomplice 34 and Athens Exceed. As for the comparison between my 34 and The Captain. Well I had a bugger of a time tuning the Captain, could never really get the left tear out of the tune, but it grouped good enough to hunt with for sure. No such problem at all with the Athens 34, its seems to tune with whatever arrow I throw on the bow. Both bows are fast with the similar draw cycles. Although My 34 is faster by a good 10fps with same arrow and dl/dw. The 34 has a stiffer wall and holds a little better than the Captain did. Now I do like the invelvet finish on the Captain better. I also liked the grip better on the Captain more so than the 34. Overall I like the Athens better, I held on to my Captain to make sure I liked the 34. After shooting the 34 for a week or so I sold the Captain.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I shot the Captain and Sentinel from BT last year. And now shoot the Athens Accomplice 34 and Athens Exceed. As for the comparison between my 34 and The Captain. Well I had a bugger of a time tuning the Captain, could never really get the left tear out of the tune, but it grouped good enough to hunt with for sure. No such problem at all with the Athens 34, its seems to tune with whatever arrow I throw on the bow. Both bows are fast with the similar draw cycles. Although My 34 is faster by a good 10fps with same arrow and dl/dw. The 34 has a stiffer wall and holds a little better than the Captain did. Now I do like the invelvet finish on the Captain better. I also liked the grip better on the Captain more so than the 34. Overall I like the Athens better, I held on to my Captain to make sure I liked the 34. After shooting the 34 for a week or so I sold the Captain.
I'm an Athens guy...But I own a Captain. Go with the Athens.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at a trade so its kind of a hard deal when you have not been able to actually see/shoot a bow.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It would be nice if you could shoot it first. Make sure it suits you.
The Athens will be a little lighter, and a little faster. You may not like it, but I do.... :)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I just bought the Athens

on the classifieds here. Have shot it today for the second time/day. The grip takes some getting used to. My other bow is a Mathews SBXT so this is way different. I just sold a General in order to help pay for the Athens.

My first impression of the 34 great quality fit/finish. The bow is well built. I found it better to shoot heavier arrows CX 350's vs. CX 250's 3D arrows. Anyway the first thing that shocked me was the smooth draw and the lack of hand shock after the shot. I am looking forward to shooting this rig. I haven't ran it through the chrony yet but it seems to be spittin' the arrows out quite fine. I don't have an Athens dealer within 2000 miles of me but after reading all the AT posts re: customer service and the company I really don't care. With Winner's Choice stock strings and Barnsdale limbs on this one I think it will roll along just fine. I buy/sell too many bows but the 34 caught my eye and I had to give it a try. Good luck in your decision but I would consider giving the 34 a run.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am yet to hear any bad so its hard not to put some serious thought into it:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I went from an XT @ 70 to a Allegiance @ 60. I sold them both on a whim to the the Accomplice 32. My is 27.5 @ 60# and it spits my Trophy Ridge 350's out alot faster. The grip is better on the Accomplice than the XT, it is flatter on the heel where as the Allegiance is more rounded. The draw is steady, smooth, pull into a solid wall no hump,I have yet to regret my choice, and excellent CS to boot.

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
I just had a doctor come into my shop yesterday to shoot the Accomplices. He currently owns a Switchback XT. He drew the 32 back and said " man that thing stops dead, what a back wall". He shot the bow, looked at me with this shocked smile and said WOW! He shot the 32, 34, and the Exceed. He liked the 32 hands down over the other 2. I asked him how much his hunting arrow weighed(385grains) and let him shoot a 385 grain arrow i had. It shot 286fps at 29/61.8. He said is the 32 was faster at 61.8 than his bow at 70#. I took him outside to shoot the bow for groups and to see how quiet it was. He shot a 2in. group at 20 yards the first time he shot it and it was not even set up for him. He said it was very quiet. I adjusted the bow to 70# so he could feel the bow at 70#. It drew so good he said he would definitely be shooting it at 70#

His exact words were " this is the best bow i have ever shot and i have shot alot of them. This bow blows my bow away!

Needless to say he is ordering a 32.

I would love to have video of the guys faces the first time they shoot the Athens bow. They are shocked by how good it shoots and it is a bow they had never heard of before.

Do yourself a favor and get a Athens, i guarantee you will not regret it.

·
Engineerd To Kill
2,730 Posts
Anyone shot both??? Just would like some input, there is not an athens dealer anywhere near me, looking at possibly getting one. They look like they are a really nice setup.
I work at a pro shop as a tech we did have Bowtech as our main bow line but they back out. I did get a chance to shoot the whole 2009 line up. Admrial, Captain, S.W.A.T and Sniper out of all I liked the S.W.A.T the best. As for the Captain vs Athens well all the feedback on here I agree with. The Captain was just too heavy for my liking I would've chose the Admrial over the Captain but, I would have to say you have to shoot one of the Athens and see for your self. I know its hard without a dealer close by. I first shot a accomplice 32 and I loved the wall and how smooth the draw was, as well as the speed for such a smooth bow with 7inch brace. I do like a longer ATA so I was going to buy a 34 but I happened to get on Athens Field Staff. So got the 34 and loved it so much I put all my bows up for sale. Had Mathews MQ1, Switchback, Drenalin, DXT, Monster and Diamond Black Ice. Out of all, my Diamond and SB I liked the most but after the Athens the other bows were nothing side by side to my Accomplice. Long story short Ive got two accomplice 34's and the new exceed 300, I will never shoot anything but Athens.

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
The Athens

Lots of great replys here and very honest..I would suggest you try to shoot the Athens Accomplice 34 if you can, but if not i would honestly think you would like it..I have had a ton of bows ranging from Bowtech,Hoyt and PSE and a few others.I really like the Athens grip and the smooth draw cycle with a very solid back wall. The closest feel to the Bowtech Allegiance and Captain i found was the Accomplice 34. Best of luck to you but my 2 cents ,, i would go with the Athens...Great CS also if you ever need them. :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I think I am convinced enough to at least give it a try...... hate coming off my captain though. I love the way it shoots, I just can not quite get the tuning where I want it so its kind of frustrating. Anyhow, I am going to try to get this worked out, its for the athens 34. If I end up hating it I am tracking all of you down!! :)

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
Well I think I am convinced enough to at least give it a try...... hate coming off my captain though. I love the way it shoots, I just can not quite get the tuning where I want it so its kind of frustrating. Anyhow, I am going to try to get this worked out, its for the athens 34. If I end up hating it I am tracking all of you down!! :)
I think you will be happy with it..:) Let us know how it works out...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts