Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here hunt the AEP land around Athens County? And if so what are your thoughts on it? We are going to be hunting either the Zaleski or AEP the third week of Nov. We are trying to narrow things down so we dont have to spend a ton of time going back and forth scouting trying to figure out which one to hunt. So much land and so little time to hunt.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would say the AEP land gets less use. Or at least that's the case where I live in Perry County. Most people don't even know about the AEP land or are to lazy to get a free permit.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I admire you guys hunting public land, here in central ohio there is no way i am walking into the woods not knowing if some idiot is going to shoot at me and dosent have enuff sense to see what he is shooting at.. When i drive by Dillon or Woodbury and see all the vehicles parked all over the place i just shake my head and laugh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree hunting public land is risky. I hunt outside of bremen at my uncles and noone is around me for sure. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You want to hunt Wayne National Forest around Athens. You need to be part ATV to hunt reclaimed coal fields. Zalinski Forest would be much better also. AEP is geared for shotgun season.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want to hunt Wayne National Forest around Athens. You need to be part ATV to hunt reclaimed coal fields. Zalinski Forest would be much better also. AEP is geared for shotgun season.
What do you mean in that AEP is geared more for shotgun season? We were in Nelsonville yesterday riding around checking out some areas to hunt. And the AEP land that we drove through looked good. I liked the looks of it better than what we seen in the Zaleski. Of course we are going back after the weather cools down for some foot work on both properties.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I hunted AEP lands in Athens county last year. One of the earlier posts mentioned ATVs. Let me tell ya they were everywhere. I would say out of 6 hunts 3 were ruined by ATVs. Seemed to me if the locals saw me parked they would make it a point to ride out and ruin my hunt. I don't know which tract you plan to hunt but the one near Carbon Dale I would steer clear of.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Does anyone here hunt the AEP land around Athens County? And if so what are your thoughts on it? We are going to be hunting either the Zaleski or AEP the third week of Nov. We are trying to narrow things down so we dont have to spend a ton of time going back and forth scouting trying to figure out which one to hunt. So much land and so little time to hunt.
Which tract do you plan to hunt?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In 2007-2008 I hunted the Poston Station AEP land by myself purty much all season. I actually hunted both sections of it very thoroughly. I had probably 15 encounters with immature bucks. Every buck that I seen was at best a 6 point. I will say that I never seen a doe in all the time I put in there that season.
My advice, go to the thickets the furthest away from any other person.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The Poston tract. Just outside of Nelsonville.
I hunted the tract on Hamley Run and Spice Lick Roads. I hunted this parcel pretty hard and saw a few deer but the tract was over run with ATVs. Their is a trail system that runs all the way through the property so it's hard to get away from them. Once the ATV activity started so did all deer activity. Like I said in my earlier post I think the neighbors were trying to run me off. Their are also two parcels a few miles east of there on Power station road but I never got a chance to hunt them. This area looks really good but I suspect It may be the same here. These lands are not patrolled by any law enforcement agency so its kind of a free for all. I've hunted Zaleski pretty hard the last three years and never had any of these problems on the state land. The local C.O. likes to patrol it. I would keep my doors locked if you hunt around Carbondale but I say that because of what the C.O. and the forest rangers have told me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
AEP has thousands and thousands of acres of hunting lands. If you were around Athens is was probably newer strip mind with better reclamation program, tree plantings and grasses. The norther section of AEP lands are very hard to hunt, not suited for treestands. I am familar with Nelsonville but not that AEP land.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After driving 770 miles round trip and spending 160 in fuel and still unsure on where to go. Maybe i need to just concentrate on the Zaleski and not worry about all the other spots.

·
Obsession Bows
5,339 Posts
I wish they allowed hunting down at AEP's John Amos plant in Saint Albans WV. I know for sure there is some studs there.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If i was you i wouldnt over look wayne national forest in lawrence county either its all public and a bunch of it good stuff

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would look at sunday creek coal company if I were you. You can pick up a lifetime permit at there office in nelsonville. Its reletivley small, but Im pretty sure there are some nice deer around there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts