Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. If I already have the tree on which I will mount my Summit climber come Sunday picked out, is there any merit to taking it out Wednesday or so and attaching it to the tree? It would save the noise of separating the halves after packing it in, attaching the cables to the tree and the stand and getting it done by flashlight. I could sort of brush it in with fallen limbs to make it less obvious, etc. It is about 20 yards off a trail which wind direction should not play affect much. Sunday I could walk to it, climb on and be set up in 10 minutes.

OTH, it might affect deer travel this close to the season, or have scent issues, though it has been in the back yard for several days and has been sprayed with scent killer daily. Like I wrote it is a thought, what do you fellows think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
i wouldn't leave it, for just the reasons you've mentioned. I have left mine over-nite when I plan to hunt it the next morning. No reason to go in now and spred scent around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i put all my hang on out this past weekend ....just sent spray your stand and your self really good and go in there and set it up asap just be quick about it and do it mid day(when most deer are bedded down) and get out of there so all u got to do is walk to yor stand in the morning just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
isnt that why climbers are so nice? I pack mine in/out about every hunt...why leave it the first hunt of the season?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wouldn't do it although I've been thinking about an excuse to get out there for a few days now. I would just hate to bump one that close to season. Besides, it really doesn't take that long to hook a summit up. Having patience is the key to success, or so I've been told. Instead of doing this, try doing something around the house that you're wife would appreciate. A happy wife equals more time hunting!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,305 Posts
I don't like to carry them out and set them up in the dark. I leave mine attached to the base of the tree. I don't have a trail to the spot I left a climber last week so getting through there in the dark can be noisy with a stand on my back. Heck it can be noisy without one on my back. I'm more concerned with taking a branch in the eye. If it was an area I could easily get to, I might take it in and out with me. BUT it sure is nice not carrying that extra weight in there and being able to just hop on and climb up. If someone steals one, my practices may change.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with the others and stay out of there. I have a summit, and it would be better to get in there early than it would be to lay your scent down this early to the season. I actually stayed out of my property last weekend, even though I have only one stand hung. If the wind is wrong, I will be finding a tree for my climber in the dark, but I still think it was a better idea than spreading my scent around the property, not to mention I have jumped deer everytime I have been out there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't leave it out. I carry mine in and out on every trip. Practice in the back yard at night taking it apart and putting it together in attempts to familiarize with the process to do it silently. Maybe you'll fine that a little padding here or there is needed.

Happy Hunting
Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMHO I would never put the stand out on Wed. knowing I was going to hunt it on Sunday. How do you know the wind will be right for that tree come Sunday? Unless you have some other stands up for various winds, I would keep the climber with me until Sunday and then decide based on the wind which tree to hunt. That is just my opinion though, do as you like.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would set it on the tree then climb up to were you plan on hunting and set the bow holder and hooks that you may want to hang things from. Then climb down and when you use the stand for hunting every thing will be in place.
FYI were rubber gloves and raingear to cut down on scent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts