Discussion Starter #1
Name:____________________________
Street:___________________________
City/State/Zip_____________________

NYS DEC Commissioner Peter Grannis
625 Broadway - 14th Floor
Albany, New York 12233-1011

Dear Commissioner Grannis,

I am writing to discuss the effects of the New York State Department of Enviromental Conservations (DEC) season restructuring which has impacted hunters in the state and became a matter of importance to the New York sporting community. In 2005 the DEC enacted a regulation change that opened the southern zone, early archery-only season on the Saturday after Columbus Day, ending on the 3rd Friday in November. This change signficantly affected bowhunters by taking away a primary weekend of bowhunting during the November rut and by significantly reducing the length of this season.

As a result of this 2005 regulation chnage the 2008 early archery season in the southern zone opens on October 18th, resulting in a shortened 28 days as compared to a 35 day season in 2007. Thus the 2008 season is seven (7) days shorter than the 2007 season and up to ten (10) days shorter when compared to the old season structure that always opened on October 15th and ended on the Sunday before the regular gun season.

In order to perpetuate more involvement from our youth, they need to be exposed to the outdoors and gqame animals during weather conditions which will allow them to have a more enjoyable experience. Opening the early archery season on an earlier date can accomplish this goal. It will also assist physically challenged hunters when reaching their hunting location, as this task can get more difficult as the season progresses and weather conditions deteriorate.

To compensate hunter for this loss of hunting opportunity, while allowing additional hunting time for young hunters, women and the physically challenged during more ideal warmer weather conditions, it would be advantageous to annually open the southern zone, early archery season at the beginning fo the license year on October 1st and the northern zone archery season on September 1st. The restoration of this lost hunting opportunity, as well as earlier opening dates will assist the DEC in their efforts to manage the deer herd via increased harvest of antlerless deer. In early October, female deer are still in their early season feeding patterns. This allows archers to better pattern their movements, resulting in a greater chance to harvest success.

I would like to thank you for listening to my concerns and I am extremely hopeful that future early archery-only seasons will open on October 1st in the Southern Zone and September 1st in the Northern Zone with ending dates similar to the current season structure.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I sent one similar - however I modified to ask for either a return to the 10/15 opener or the Sat before Columbus Day rather than after. This would return what we had or be a bit better.

Much more realistic request and I feel more likely to be considered.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts