Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's... I thought it be a good idea to place an EZ-pull trigger assist on my stryker trigger... bad idea.. After installing it by directions: soon as I place the bolt to the string she went off... i now have a broken trigger finger and missing finger nail and the other two fingers are fractured... man my hand hurts... I will never go to hell for that idea again... They may work great for a rifle but they are not intended for crossbows.. Atleast a stryker... Please no negative post... My hand feels as if my heart is in it going boom boom boom... :(

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
:eek: OUCH!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Man!

The Styrker's trigger is very good for a crossbow. It's difficult to get a sear that's holding 100 lbs force to let off as nicely as a rifle trigger.

·
Don in Pa. Good Shooting
883 Posts
Oh my god I know that is hurting buddy. Good Luck and I hope it heals up fast. Do you want to post some pictures to show us what the results are. Ouch man I really feel for you I hit my thumb one time shooting a crossbow, I had my thumb sticking up past the rail a little and it about took the tip of my thumb off. Just kidding about the pics. Good Luck ....

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I know you're probably way past over it but do you think you just had it on there too far in or is there no way at all to make it work? This also needs to be a notice to all that make sure the trigger is safe and not hitting clothing or other before loading a bolt. Guess this answers if there is a no fire mechanism in there for a depressed trigger on disengagement of the bolt sensor.

·
Archery Coach
23,283 Posts
I know you're probably way past over it but do you think you just had it on there too far in or is there no way at all to make it work? This also needs to be a notice to all that make sure the trigger is safe and not hitting clothing or other before loading a bolt. Guess this answers if there is a no fire mechanism in there for a depressed trigger on disengagement of the bolt sensor.

http://www.ezpulltriggerassist.com/

on some crossbows-when you set it and its holding the string-the trigger actually moves forward ever so slightly compared to where it was when the bow is not spanned. That would explain this.

I have had a TNC bow let go on me in a heavy rainstorm when loading it and all it did was sting my fingers since its 90 pounds (another reason why I am not a fan of those magnum xbows. On the excalibur I set the safety before I load it. There are ways to load a crossbow (most of the target crowd have adopted that) where if the bow AD's so you don't get hurt too badly though at nationals one "tinkerer" was using an ultra thin FFlite string and it took a slice out of his thumb-again a case of someone modifying way beyond normal specs

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
There is quite a bit of difference

in crossbow trigger mechanisms from manufacturer to manufacturer. On a gun, I try to get all creep out and also lighten the trigger pull to my liking (fairly touchy). On crossbows I get all the creep out I can but leave the pull on the heavy side. I'd never recommend messing around with crossbow triggers to anyone. On one manufacturer's crossbow, all I do is pull the assembly apart and coat the sear and hook engagement area with STP. It works miracles. I have one crossbow that is the most accurate I've ever shot and it has creep but the creep is smooth with no dragging feel. I'm leaving it alone :) Crossbows can be very dangerous if mishandled or modified, as we see here on this thread so use caution guys.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
in crossbow trigger mechanisms from manufacturer to manufacturer. On a gun, I try to get all creep out and also lighten the trigger pull to my liking (fairly touchy). On crossbows I get all the creep out I can but leave the pull on the heavy side. I'd never recommend messing around with crossbow triggers to anyone. On one manufacturer's crossbow, all I do is pull the assembly apart and coat the sear and hook engagement area with STP. It works miracles. I have one crossbow that is the most accurate I've ever shot and it has creep but the creep is smooth with no dragging feel. I'm leaving it alone :) Crossbows can be very dangerous if mishandled or modified, as we see here on this thread so use caution guys.
I don't know what you're calling creep, but maybe its the same as what I'm experiencing. My excalibur has a smooth trigger pull, but I know I have to pull it back like a 16th of an inch of so before its going to go off. Maybe even an 1/8th, but probably not a quarter. All I know is that I'll have some room to go before its gonna surprise me. I 'know' that soe I have to make a concious effort to not start that pull until I'm right 'on' when practicing. I don't want somethign to go awry when things aren't exactly the same in a hunting situation.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
You are exactly right

The safe thing to do is learn your trigger and leave it as it came from the factory. I've been a trigger nut since the 70's when I was doing trigger jobs on 44 mag handguns. Crossbow triggers are different animals and I would not recommend anyone try modifying them. I do have very good triggers on my crossbows but it came with a lot of effort and caution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts