Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a 500 acre lease just North of Lampasas, TX. We had a wet summer so tons of forage for deer as well as a bumper acorn crop that is just now fading out. I'm seeing hardly any deer at my feeder this year. In the past I could count on deer showing up at least the morning or afternoon (or both). I suspect some of my issue is that the deer have plenty to eat right now but a friend of mine, on the same lease located a quarter mile to the South is seeing regular does and bucks at his feeder daily. My last review of game camera photos showed 6 days in between deer visits. I've never seen them so sporadic and I've been hunting there for years. I'm trying to get my daughter her first archery deer and we're getting really tired of sitting there day after day and seeing nothing (I have ground blind setups for any wind). Rifle season is in a couple weeks and bow hunting gets a whole lot tougher when the other guys on the lease start showing up and blasting away.

I'm hoping some folks on here have some ideas on how to get these deer back to my feeder. I currently use Mummes apple flavored corn. I've put out an acorn flavored salt/mineral block that the deer don't seem to like as it is untouched.

Some things I'm considering: Use an attractant such as Buck Candy to mix with my corn. Put out a couple blocks of Deercain or similar block style attractant. Your thoughts on these? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
459 Posts
Acorns on the ground will keep them busy and no need to travel far from bedding areas. The weather has been unfavorable no real cold snap so movement will be sporadic and hard to monitor or pin down. If you can find some travel corridors and brush in a blind and play the wind you may see some deer moving to and from bedding and feeding areas. Hope this might help or point you in a different direction.

· Registered
680 Posts
Tractor Supply sells a fragrant feeder block called Trophy Rack that the deer go crazy over. The sweet odor is very strong and they walk past the corn to get to the block.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

· Registered
817 Posts
Just wait until it cools down. Deer will hit the corn. Grew up about 40 miles from there outside of Burnet. They eat the acorns and then hit the corn when it drops temp.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
same story in Eldorado OP. there is just so much food. if i had more time than just a couple of days, i would have set up a blind in one of the areas i know they travel. unfortunately, i won't get to go again for maybe a month. by then, they be pounding the corn with nothing else to eat. so, i didn't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.