Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 40 acres that has been untouched hunting wise for the past 10 years..scouted some last season and had some decent activity. I would like to start maintaining the property to make it sort of a haven for whitetail..was going to get a feeder possibly and half a doz mineral blocks. I would also like to make a small food plot but want to use something that doesn’t require much upkeep as this property is about 4 hour drive. Plan on visiting 1 weekend per month.

Any tips on which type of vegetation would require less maintenance, looking for something I can plant and let go would be ideal. Also looking for recommendations on automatic feeders, saw cheap ones which I wouldn’t mind starting with to see how things go but also don’t want to throw $100 away if it’s smarter to invest in a $300 feeder that will out last it.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
My neighbor passed away, I hunted his land for 15+ years, got at least one deer a year. His son took over, placed three feeders on it, hasn't got a deer in two years? Feeders aren't the answer to getting a deer, hunting one is. Now food plots are a decent idea, clover or something natural to your area works well. Sometimes feeders will tend to make deer more nocturnal, he has pictures of some nice bucks--at 1-2 in the morning. If this is private land, place a decoy out on a scrape, get a good grunt call, and get ready for some fun. Do they work, yes, my other neighbor has a concrete buck lawn ornament that gets knocked over every year, we put a camera on it, a really big buck was the culprit.--BB

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Neat opportunity. Is there bedding cover? Water sources? If not, you could consider making some. Food plots are time and money intensive to get really nice ones. Go watch some YouTube videos on improving deer habitat through selective cutting and hinging trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've had the best luck by improving cover and browse. Whitetails like thick stuff and feed heavily on new forest growth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Food plots if possible. Pops loose moose on a rotted stump over mineral blocks all day every day.

If you can do some hinge cutting, I would recommend. Check out Steve Bartylla on Facebook. TONS of free advice on maximizing your property.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Hinge cut, create bedding, watering whole, mineral site or 2, feeder will help, don't hunt over the feeder, just hunt the paths to and from.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I use to put out a feeder, rarely ever had pics of bucks at it.
I would make a food plot, add cover for bedding. Plan ahead so that you have trails with cover leading between the two. leave some small scrape trees along the food plot also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts