Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im going to be making a large investment in a large trailer, and a disc, sprayer. seeder etc etc.. the only one i have used before is the plotmaster, and wasnt that impressed with it on ground that had ANY uneveness, not to mention i didnt like the alligator clips that ran to your battery for teh seeder.. So my question is, what are u guys using, i hae seen that hi speed disc on the out door channel and that looks decent for a disc, the name eludes me right now. I have a Kawasaki Brute force 650 that I will be using for the power.. solid rear axle (purposly for planting food plots, much larger diffential and axles) thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Probably a Summit disc you saw.

Tecomate makes a plot master type set up too.The main problem with ATV disc that I have used is weight.Without the ability to add some they just skip over hard dirt.When I say some I mean hundreds of pounds.I suggest alot of research,You can get a good deal on sprayers at www.northerntool.com..
While the all in one unit is very desirable,I have yet to talk with anyone that was totally satisfied with one.To disc,seed and cover would be soo great.Good luck.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I have two Summit Plot Mule discs. BTW, one is brand new in the box, with all the bells and whistles.:wink:

I have tried a few, and the Plot Mule works really good. It will tilt side to side on fairly steep side hills, but nothing you can`t live with.

The spreader has a cigarette lighter plug to plug right into your quad, or you can direct wire it into a handlebar mounted rocker switch.

Both of the units I have come with a 15 gallon spreader and a variable remote control. They also come with a cultipacker, and the optional electric accuator to raise and lower the wheels instead of the rachet binder, which works fine, but is a pain in the butt.

For a sprayer, I picked up a Fimco 25 gallon boomles sprayer at Tractor Supply Company. This thing works fantastic! Fully adjustable, and can spray up to a 30' swat with a single pass.

IMO, the only ATV disc that is noticably better than the plot mule is a unit made by a dentist in Texas. Check out the "ThunderDisc". It is an awesome unit, and you would need a quad like you have to pull it. I really wanted one of these, but they run $1950.00 plus shipping just for the disc alone. Well worth it, but more than I wanted to spend at the time.

The plot mule from Summit has worked really well for me.

If you decide you might be interested in a deluxe Plot Mule setup.....shoot me a PM. I really do have a brand new in the crate deluxe model, and I will be making 3 trips to the midwest in the near future. October 3rd, October 23rd, and again on November 27th.:wink:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very interested, that looks much nicer than the "plotmaster" that i used.. that thing was like 800lbs (i used my old actic cat 650 for that one) i didnt have any problems moving/pulling, but i was afraid it was going to tip on a VERY gradual slope.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For the price of the ATV and all the implements you want, you could buy a real tractor.

I have $7000 tied up in a 40 hp AC tractor with front end loader. brush hog mower, and hay bale spears.

You can buy smaller tractors for less.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have the forewheeler and its MUCH more versitle than any tractor.. i highly doubt im gonna find a 4wd tractor around here with all the implements for less than 7k... btw my quad was only 5300

·
Registered
376 Posts
-FORD 600 or nna less than $2000
-used disk less than $300
-5-6' brush hog less than $400
-part of an old harrow (to pull with your atv) less than $100
- 25 gallon boomless sprayer arouns $200

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next question is, how reliable is that old tractor going to be, but still doesnt matter.. I ALREADY HAVE THE FOURWHEELER AND DIDNT ASK ABOUT TRACTORS.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Tractors are indeed the way to go if you plan on doing large acreage.

That said, I can do 20 acres in a day with a quad, no problem. I will eventually have a tractor when I decide to make the move to more, and bigger plots, but it will cost ME way more than the numbers mentioned. Time is very important to me, and I do not have time to make repairs constantly on old equipment.

One plus for the ATV plots are that you can get an ATV into spots where a tractor just has a hard time fitting.

Also, when jumping around doing 1/2 acre and one acre plots, you can get an ATV from point A to point B one heck of a lot faster.

Besides, like ACooper has stated.....he ALREADY has a power unit, and it is a 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Summit Plot Mule

I have had my plot mule for about a year now and I am very happy with it. I do not have a electric raise and lower of the wheels, so I manually raise and lower the wheels, I have everything except the sprayer but I have everything else. I use a Polaris 700 SP to pull it and it does a great job on our food plots. It will turn some dirt up and it does a good job of level the ground with the adjustable angle/depth of the disks, without adding any weight. My hunting buddy has a honda 300 and he will pull it after I give the ground a deep break-up. We have 11 plots that range anywhere from a 1/4 to one acre plots. The club has been using a tractor and all members like the way the food plots turn out when I use the plot mule. Of course, there are times when I might have to make two or three passes to get it like I like it, but I am picky and it really works great for me.

·
Matt R
2,113 Posts
I have a disc-cultivator-cultipacker-seeder that is made by " Gandy ". It weighs 750 lbs and does an awsome job, but you do need a 650 or bigger to pull it. I bought a quick connect like you use for trolling motors to opperate both the cultivator and my sprayer. I just keep the female end permantly mounted on my ATV with the end just sticking out from under my seat, and the male ends go on all of the accessories so it is very simple to change from one to the other.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im highly considering the summit plot mule.. it sounds like a very nice unit.... back county we might have to do some talkin.. what are you guys using for sprayer's and what kind of Herbacide.. I already have a brush hog for my quad w/ a 10horse briggs on it. i plan on mowing the grass/brush down first, then using a herabcide out of some type of a boom sprayer.. are u guys just using roundup mixed with water or what?

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I use Roundup Original MAX. You can buy the 2 1/2 gallon jugs at TSC for $112.64

Mix the whole jug with 22.5 gallons of water for just over a 10% mix. This will do roughly 2.5-3 acres.

You can get the Roundup at Lowes or Home Depot, but they charge about 50 bucks more per jug.:eek:

I can spray that much ground in about ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
holy cripes they aint given that away are they!!!!

I might have to look at getting the raw chemicles and having my cousin (he's a chemist) whip somethin up for me

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I use stuff called HI-YIELD. It's got the same active ingredient as Round-Up and cost $60 for 2.5 gallons at my local feed store. Even though it's the "generic" brand, it works as well as the name brand stuff. I've seen it for sale at Atwoods and Tractor Supply too.

Nobody said this food-plot stuff was cheap, but the rewards are well worth the price of admission. :wink: Watching deer that are utilizing the product of your hard work is a great source of satisfaction and pride. Almost as good as arrowing a deer. :)

I know you didn't ask about tractors, but these guys gave you some good advice concerning tractors & implements and they were only trying to help.......a thank you would have been appropriate, IMHO. :) If you decide to up your food plot operation in the future, you've seriously gotta look at a tractor and some real implements. Nothing is going to work the ground like a tractor, period. I use a 24hp diesel tractor with tandem disk, rototiller attachment, cultivator, planter, box blade, regular blade and scoop and it was 5K. A well-maintained tractor will outlast any quad, and they're made for the work.

Good luck. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem is finding a well maintan'd tractor for that kind of money, and the area i hunt the major fields ARE put in with a 46 horse kubota 4wd.. but the trails through the woods to the over grown pockets that I want to plant are NOT friendly to that tractor, if we got it stuck in there we would never get it out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Tufline Groundhog

Check out the tufline groundhog. Its a disc that fits between the back wheels of the 4 wheeler. It uses the weight of the 4 wheeler to push it into the gorund. I think it is about $400 and weights about 45lbs. Very interesting concept. I am looking at it but havent decided yet. Very unique

·
Registered
716 Posts
Round-up

the active ingredient in round-up is glyphosate. you should be able to find generic glyphosate for around half the price of name brand at a local coop, grain elevator, or other farm store. if you can't find it there I know you can search for glyphosate on ebay and get 2.5 gal for around $50.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My hi-tech plot master....:wink:. And the finished product:) .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts