Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you watch those Australian bowhunting vids you quickly realize that most of the Aussies use straight 2 blade heads.

No surprise to me, they are very effective and they get pass through after pass through with them....

Good vid here

·
Blue Marlin
3,443 Posts
I love 2 blade heads. They are my goto default broadhead style... but I'm also a sucker for trying out new heads too.
Gotta give credit where credit is due though.. those Ozzies have a lot of feral critters to hunt and their season is wide open so that type scenario gives the down under hunters lots of real world insight on what works best.

·
Registered
28,245 Posts
I picked up a 3-pack of Ozcut Elites last summer .....honestly a bit underwhelmed by appearance. Anyone killed game with them to relate first hand experience of damage and blood trails?

In my trad days I killed a bunch of game with sharp two-blade Zwickey Eskimos and Magnus trads. Archery is near the top of the hill at redesigning the wheel.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,788 Posts
Magnus Stinger two blade and German Jager two blades are great broadheads. Two blade Ozcuts head were inferior to both the Stinger and Jager and more expensive. I have heard very good things about Tusker broadheads.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Australians got it made too. They get to shoot a lot more than most in the states.
This year Im shooting a 2 blade with bleeders. Not super excited about the angle of the bleeders but I love the attachment system so am giving them a go.
I dont ever shoot anything anyhow so it dont matter too much.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not watch yet. What are they using?
Just about all of those Aussie guys use the one piece CNC’d 2 blades. Its popular there and after watching a bunch of those vids, you will see why; they get all pass-throughs with the animals going down in a short distance.

for about the last 10 years I’ve been shooting straight two blades and I’m super impressed with the effectiveness of this simple design. It should not be a surprise really as Bohunters have been using these for thousands of years.

it’s been my experience that they give me great bloodtrails as long as I hit the animal center body or lower. A blood trail is more dependent on where you hit them. A high shot with any Broadhead gives you a poor blood trail.

What I like is that a lot of the animals I shoot don’t know they have been hit ….so they don’t go very far before they tip over.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres a elk hunt in the US, small 2 blade. Now he draws the bulls attention by stopping him before the shot....which always makes them blow out on the shot. Even then, the bull dies in sight.
Best to FFWD, Shot is right about 15-16 min...

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,314 Posts
I tell you what a 2 blade just works. They are not cool. There are not huge holes. There will not be a massive blood trail most the time.

You can easily sharpen them
They penetrate the best
They are usually durable and not a one and done
Deer just don't go far after being hit

Convince me I'm wrong if you can.

All this said I like trying new stuff but in a pinch I'm quick to sharpen up some magnus and make small holes and short trail

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beendare

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,300 Posts
I started with Bear Razorheads with a bleeder in 1977. They worked great, on deer, bears and elk. Over the years I tried many different fixed broadheads, replaceable and non replaceable types. The past 8-10 years I’ve transitioned back to two blades, with bleeders, those being some Magnus Stingers but primarily Iron Will.
your results may vary, but two blades with or without bleeders are highly effective.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shot those bear razor heads for a couple years, good head but the problem is you can’t spin check them- a critical factor in BH selection.

That sucked because I had about 200 of those from the Bear rep- a lifetime supply.
There are a bunch of good boar hunting vids from Australia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts