Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, newbie here looking to purchase an intermediate bow.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the avalon and the plus version? Is one less prone to cracking or do all avalons have that problem as i have read many times. Is there any advantage between the two?

Would I be better off with an Elan instead? Whats the difference between these besides price?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
195 Posts
you might have trouble finding these bows...if you do they will definately be used. Hoyt replaced all three bows you mentioned with the Matrix.

That being said. all of those bows are good ones, so Ive heard. The elan, ive been told, has a funny handle that women may like more than men. Ive never shot the avalon or the avalon plus but if they are like my Matrix then they would be just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No the "funny" handle was on the Radian. The Elan has the standard Hoyt Grip.

Avalon Plus was supposed to be an improvement over the Avalon w/ regards to the cracking thing. But I am unaware how common this actually was.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The original avalon was prone to cracking. If I get some time I will scan and post the pic of mine when it broke. This was more common with guys shooting heavier limbs. Hoyt does have a lifetime replacement policy so if you get an avalon and it cracks they will replace it. Some of the other changes are the plus has a smoother look and it has some changes to the limb alignment system that made it easier to set properly. Given the choice/oppertunity I would take a plus over the original hands down. My reason is mostly because I had an avalon break on me and it was no fun, but I have not heard of a plus cracking or breaking.

Archeryking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts