Archery Talk Forum banner

Average Hours on Stand per Deer Taken?

861 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  RogerBarker
Bowhunters,
I’d like to know the average number of hours spent on stand per deer taken with a bow. I’d also like to know the average hours spent scouting per deer taken. I’m sure the numbers will vary greatly depending on:
1. Whether you’re hunting for a trophy buck versus hunting for meat,
2. The experience-skill of the hunter,
3. The deer population,
4. Luck,
5. Etc.
Has anyone tabulated averages in spite of all the variability? If so, please fill me in.
Thanks in advance,
Roger Barker
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· World & National Champion
34,042 Posts
I'd have to sit down to get some exact numbers but I prefer to harvest a 'nice' buck in my book. This usually means a 3 year old but sometimes I'll pull the trigger on a 2 year old depending on circumstances. I generally don't get one until at least the last week of Oct. At that point I'm usually around 100 hrs on stand. If I don't get one until the 2nd week of Nov then I'm closer to 200hrs. As far as just getting a deer.....I usually harvest some does early in the season. That time can range from 1 to 20 hrs normally.

· Registered
693 Posts
First year of hunting and I had in under 20hrs in the stand. The scouting had already been done. This is the 5 year this property has been hunted by this group and at the time 5 of the 7 deer were taken from the stand I used. We added two more to the count for that stand in the past week.

· Registered
982 Posts
I probably average about 50-60 hours on stand per deer. This is only my fourth season bow hunting, so my skill level is not really high. I've only been deer hunting for about 8 or 9 years, so that still means I've not had tons of experiences. I started hunting deer during college and have been in graduate school ever since, so I really don't get much time (not like everyone else gets tons of time either).

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't keep a log, so it's hard to be accurate.

I will say this, If I'm not seeing deer, I won't hunt much now. I'm not real picky about what I shoot, any doe or any buck bigger than my last.

So far this year, about 12 hours on stand no deer. Not much movement right now, I won't get back out for 2 weeks.

Last year about 80 hours 2 deer.

Year before, 100+ hours, 1 deer.

First year, 100+ hours, 1 deer.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
i did a quick calculation of the number of hours per week, per season, and divided that by number of deer and came up with 72 hrs per deer. we can't forget all the other things we enjoy while spending this time either like sunrises and sunsets, being harassed by squirrels etc, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.