Archery Talk Forum banner

Average price for a Bear Rug

138732 Views 26 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Cory F.26
what do you guys pay to get a black bear rug made?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· can I shoot it?
17,984 Posts
Rug

I think it depends a lot on who does it. Mine had to be sent out to be tanned, done at a diffrent place then the taxidermist, and this added to the cost. It is something you might want to ask whomever is doing the rug. After all was said and done, with tax and everything my total cost for a large black bear rug with head was $1100. I think they can be done for cheaper, but I really liked the quality of this taxidermist.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
HOLY CRAP!

I used to want a bear rug. :pukey:

I will admit that I have no idea what is involved in making a rug but man that is alot more than I would have guessed. I was hoping for a big bear now I guess a small to medium size bear would be more in my price range................... lol

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Taxidermists around here are right around the $200 a foot price.

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the inf guys, one taxidermist up here is listed for 175 a foot and I thought that was a lot but i guess it is right around the average for a high end shop.

· Registered
51 Posts
What your paying for.

Up here it is about $200 a foot.
Not all prices are the same. My taxidermist includes fleshing and or skinning of feet and head plus turning of ears etc etc. for the $200/ft. He also has pay as you go. I am only into my current bear for the tanning $55/ft including all fleshing etc. If there is a bunch of slippage I don't have to pay for the rugging I can just pick up my tanned hide and be done with that bear.

· Registered
866 Posts
just droped off a 442lber to my taxi and he is charging 135ft that includes everything and two colors of felt on the back. they measure them for pricing after they are done. mine will go about 80 inches tip of the nose to tip of the tail so bill should be about 900 plus tax:(

· Registered
1,786 Posts
A couple of bears ive shot that werent trophy quality i just had the skins tanned. I usually lay the skin over a small table and put shed antlers, photo albums, etc. On top of them. It looks nice in a trophy room without the cost of a full rug.

· The Death of Many
2,736 Posts
I often wonder why a guy would charge 135/ft when all his buddies are getting 175-200/ft.
Maybe he is doing the tanning his self.
I paid 150.00 a foot in 2001. It is 200.00 a foot now.
It is worth the extra money for a taxidermist that sends the hide to a tannery. They dont smell as bad when you get the rug back and they are slick and clean .
The taxidermist I used to use for 100.00 a foot did the tanning himself and you can definately tell the difference. His have a dingy dirty look to them and smell pretty bad.

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Bear Rug

Back in 1979 I paid 775.00 for a rug of a bear that weight 450 dressed and was 91" long. Now be carefull as I have seen some bear rugs that had the claws cut off, Smell so bad you could not stand them in the house, big bear with heads the size of a racoon, so know what you are getting and make sure you make a point of getting the skull back as I have seen where they just disappeared and never to be seen again, So some times you DO get what you pay for. LOL Skip

· Registered
6,553 Posts
wow. i would just go with a full body mount. Mine bear is at the taxi right now and i am getting a full body mount on him.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.