Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to shooting a compound bow, after shooting a recurve for 20 years. I have my sight pins set at 15, 25, and 35 yards. I cannot honestly see shooting over 35 yards in the timber where I hunt, with 25 yards about the average shot.
Do these sight pin distances sound like a good choice? What do you people consider your average shot distance?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Depending on the age and speed of your bow, the 15 yard pin may not be necessary. Typically, I go with 20, 30, and 40(sometimes I go with 25, 35, and 45). Essentially you will hit the same mark from 15-20 yards (give or take an inch). Some bows now even shoot the same up to 30 yards. It's your call, but that is my 2 cents. Chris

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I usually hunt with a single pin set at 25 yards. I don't like all the clutter and that is how I shoot 3D anyway

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pins

I shoot a 20 yard and 30 yard pin. Don't want any more they just confuse me and hell I'm confused enough.......the 20 yard will shot from one to 20 yards ok.........if they are over 30 yards I need to more my climbing stand.........:D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your site pin placement sounds good.
What is more important is how does your bow shoot. If the deer is 30 yards do you use your 35 yard and aim low or 25 and aim high.
Put a target 3 feet away from your stand you will be suprised which pin you will need to shoot to hit the target.

I have my pins 20,30,40,50 I like to practice 40 and 50 it makes the 20 yard shots seem real close.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My average shot of all my deer is 13.5 yards. I've taken one at 24yds, that's my farthest. 90% of the places I hunt I can't possibly shoot 25 yds.

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
I use 20-30-40-50 yard pins. The 50 is just for practice.
My average shot over 20 years --- 18 yards.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Last season I shot and killed deer at 25 yards, 32 yards and 18 yards. The only reason I shot the 32 yard shot is because the wind was calm, the shot was a clear view at slightly quartering away and I had been watching the doe for about 20 minutes.

I would say the average shot is around 18 yards for the areas that I hunt. I have a forty yard pin that I will be taking off of the bow for hunting.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I recently changed my pins to 15-25-35. The 35 is really more for practice than hunting. I hope the 15 covers my actual deer hunting needs, but the 25 will work well on anything between 20 & 30, and 30 is my limit on deer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Out of all my bow kills, only one was at 40 yards, and the rest were all 25 and in, with the average most likely being 15 to 18 yards... That being said, my 20 yard pin is less than an inch high at 10 yards, and will cover a deer from 5 to 25 yards - my pins are set at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards... I spend most of my time practicing at 50 and 40 yards, respectively - so the 20 and in shots at a whitetail are chippers, to be sure... I like to shoot 5 spots at 40 yards - really tightens you up for bow season...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wabi,
That is exactly what I am doing. The 15 yard and 25 yard pins cover me from 0 to 30 yards, and the 35 yard pin is for practicing. It is exactly like what was reported in a different post where you practice out far and the 25 yard and under shots are easy. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would only add, don't forget to practice a few at under 15 yards. Because when that shot comes directly under your stand you will want to know what pin to use and where to hold. My average shot is like most, but we do strive to get as close as possible and sometime its really close. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, but I dont hunt out of a stand anymore since I moved to Colorado. I still hunt on the ground, mostly for mulies. Although you can hunt mulies in the myns. with a treestand, stillhunting is more fun, and I see more animals. Notice I said see more animals and not shoot more animals.:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts