Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if not eating meat changes your scent to be less predator like? Ive been meat free for 2wks now, and it sure is hard. I hope it helps, cause I cant wait to get some back straps on the grill!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have heard about that myself. Some guys dont eat meat for several months before season. They say that deer smell meat eaters and identify them as danger. Kinda makes sense cause we use fox and skunk pee.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You have more will power than I. I could never go a week without meat. I have no idea about the human scent issue. Don't foxes like fowl,rodents etc..?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Either way they can smell when conditions are right and they are in their high alert mood.

Last I heard fox eat a lot of rodents. Meat? So much for that fox pee theory.

·
Registered
122 Posts
theres no way i could do without meat for any amount of time. be careful you dont want to become one of them vegetarian types.:eek:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I heard that Indians would stay away from meat before a big hunt, because of the reasons stated above. I myself don't know for sure. I obstain from garlic and onions before a hunt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Personally I think it is false info. If a deer smells "man" he is gone. Many guys on here that kill some awesome animals eat meat. Practice good scent control and hunt the wind. Go have a nice steak and get ready to kill something.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
never heard of it never plan to try it good sent control and brush teeth with
baking soda if I get busted after that so be it

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Scent control just the facts

After years of experimenting I have found that you smell like a preditor of what you eat. If you want to hunt deer don't eat meat for at least 60 days to get all of it out of your system. I live in minnesota and we have a problem with the mosquetoes. So I wanted to figure a way they would leave me alone. So I set up a trap system and started eating a large bowl of "em" with milk every morning for a month. Now not a bug will come with in a 100 yards of me but the birds keep pecking me in the head?? Mike (twin Arrows)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
twin arrows said:
After years of experimenting I have found that you smell like a preditor of what you eat. If you want to hunt deer don't eat meat for at least 60 days to get all of it out of your system. I live in minnesota and we have a problem with the mosquetoes. So I wanted to figure a way they would leave me alone. So I set up a trap system and started eating a large bowl of "em" with milk every morning for a month. Now not a bug will come with in a 100 yards of me but the birds keep pecking me in the head?? Mike (twin Arrows)
:)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I guess you guys are a little more hard core than I am. There's no way in the world I could go turn into a vegan for 60 days or whatever for deer season. I'll just stick to more traditional scent control techniques. As for the skeeter cereal, wow. I'll either break out the thermacell or just suck it up and smack 'em. How many does it take to make a meal anyway?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do practice good scent control as best I can. However Im looking for every advantage I can. Whether it works or not, my luck I will score big finally and end up doing this every year. :sad:
Its tough guys.....My Big Mac/Whopper cravings are full blast every lunch hour. Sitting there eating a side salad and large fries isnt all its cracked up to be. It was easy at first, but its getting harder and harder........

Ken

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I eat a chit loads of deer meat before each hunt, that way i smell like a deer..lol:tongue: Hunt the wind and you will be fine, if the wind is wrong they will smell you regardless..

·
Registered
559 Posts
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I'll continue to eat meat and hunt. If I never kill another deer, at least I get to hunt. And eat meat.

FWIW

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow there are some interesting ideas on here. However I don't think it makes a difference what you eat. 2 years ago I killed my biggest buck not more that 2 hours after eating a sandwich in the stand that had meat in it. He was also down wind. just my .02

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just the opposite.....I have been on an ultra low carb diet for the last 5 years. All except wednesday when we go for groceries and eat lunch out. Thursday is the only day I have to use deoderant. The rest of the week I have no body odor. Meat, eggs and cheese....Its whats for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
I've been eating so many leaves and twigs that i starting to squrit pellets..:tongue:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I believe a person would have to rid themselves of all body fat after giving up meat, in order to eliminate giving off any smell like that. In my case, that would mean giving up eating meat about 3 years before hunting season.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That is quite possibly one of strangest things I ever heard...Why would you want to give up meat? How much of an edge do you think that would give you, if any? So does that mean if you eat a lot of corn, do you smell like food to them? Be serious, does a cat smell like a dog? Does a coyote smell like a bear? Does a human smell like any of these? The answers are no across the board. If they smell human, they smell human. It doesn't matter if you smell like meat or not...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts