Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best morning yet this season.... Took my son out Saturday for the youth turkey hunt... Tough morning.. no gobbling... Headed for the truck at 11:30... Struck a bird next to the truck at 11:45, called him in and my son shot at 11:55 and missed!!! Nice long beard... but he is fine.. son's ego is bruised though... LOL... So I get him back out this morning before school.... Make a huge swing around this mountain in the dark and come in from behind these roosted birds... Set up on the ridge above them... They start hammering on the roost... 5:30 I hit them with a Fly down and the game is on!!! 45 minutes later the gobbler go quiet... Cut to them on the slate and nothing.... I'm thinking either bumped or coming... sure enough a minute later.. Here comes 2 long beards, 4 jakes and 2 hens... They hang up at this downed tree 35 yards out... They strut, spit and drum for 5 minutes there... I look over at my son.. gun up.. on them.. no shot... The hens decide they have had enough and work across the ridge leaving us... When they were gone my son comes over and goes "My mind went blank!".. LOL.. "That was awesome!!"... He just didn't feel comfortable with the shot and after Saturday's miss I understood.. Told him we now can work them again so no loss... Great morning... tons of gobbling... and having them that close for that long was priceless!!! :shade: I love calling in birds for others!!! Especially my son!!!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Sounds like a great AM out in the MA woods... was it snowing on you guys?

He did the right thing by passing on the uncomfortable shot. Most youngsters (and adults) would have taken the shot... Good for him.
Nothing like calling them in for others...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sounds awesome. I went out monday and didnt hear or see a thing. I might try tomorrow am after work or just wait til friday since im not working tomorrow night. Hope your son connects with one. What part of w.mass u from grizz?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No snow,... But it was VERY cold... As for where I live.. I live in South Hadley... Home of "Bullying" I guess... :confused: I hunt in Ware though for turkeys... Not a ton of gobbling except for the birds that came in... I might have helped them get fired up though... :shade:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I used to live in SH. nice town. I havent heard much gobbling at all!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got to go out and have a gun in MY hands this morning!! LOL... Worked those two long beards again.. Damn hens led them past me at 60 yards... They would gobble at everything I did but could not get those hens to come in... Tomorrow... But no other gobbling from what I could hear in the area... Friend said he had 7 different toms gobbling this morning though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts